How many labor hours dealerships charge to replace 2022/2023 engine thermostat?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My local dealer charges 3 hours to replace the thermostat. It seems a little higher than what I expect. Wouldn't 2-hour labor charge provide sufficient profit to Ford dealerships? My local dealer labor hourly rate is $189/hr. Thank you for any information.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to ask my dealer about having that done (with new coolant) and buying a set of tires at the same visit. I'm pretty sure that there is no way under the sun that I will be paying nearly $600 for labor plus parts. We will see.

OP
OP
H

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to ask my dealer about having that done (with new coolant) and buying a set of tires at the same visit. I'm pretty sure that there is no way under the sun that I will be paying nearly $600 for labor plus parts. We will see.

$300 - $400 labor charge would sound reasonable for me. Parts are not expensive, though. One gallon coolant, one thermostat with seal. The total cost of parts is about $50 to $60.

omandave

Reaction score
I did my 2020 in the driveway in 30 minutes.

B
I just ordered the parts form Rock-Auto and that included 2 gallons of the Yellow Coolant. including shipping it was $62.
There is a video on you-tube that shows the job being done on an F-150... that is why I am going to do it myself.
it should be a relatively quick and easy DIY repair, and I have a receipt for the Motorcraft parts to help prove that I am maintaining my vehicle to keep my extended warranty valid (in case there is ever a question).
119K 2019 Expedition Limited...

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Everyone reaches an age when crawling under your car is something you no longer want to do...that's me! Initial quote was for 1.5 hours just on thermostat (plus part), considering a coolant flush and new coolant, there was some time overlap. Taking it in next week to get new tires and have the work done and will have the final cost breakdown if anyone is interested.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Everyone reaches an age when crawling under your car is something you no longer want to do...that's me!
I was thinking the same when I changed my water pump a few months ago. Tired of clambering around the vehicle and fighting fasteners. That's why I'm transitioning my vehicles to electric.

OP
OP
H

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Everyone reaches an age when crawling under your car is something you no longer want to do...that's me! Initial quote was for 1.5 hours just on thermostat (plus part), considering a coolant flush and new coolant, there was some time overlap. Taking it in next week to get new tires and have the work done and will have the final cost breakdown if anyone is interested.
I am extremely interested. Thanks!

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was thinking the same when I changed my water pump a few months ago. Tired of clambering around the vehicle and fighting fasteners. That's why I'm transitioning my vehicles to electric.
cuz those are free from problems... Friends Model S has had 3 motor replacements in 5 years. Granted, he's not doing the replacements and the first two didn't cost anything. My local pepboys has been certified as a tesla repair shop and every day there are over half of dozen of them sitting in the lot, but yes, they have far fewer mechanical parts and therefor should be less maintenance.