How many labor hours dealerships charge to replace 2022/2023 engine thermostat?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
cuz those are free from problems... Friends Model S has had 3 motor replacements in 5 years. Granted, he's not doing the replacements and the first two didn't cost anything. My local pepboys has been certified as a tesla repair shop and every day there are over half of dozen of them sitting in the lot, but yes, they have far fewer mechanical parts and therefor should be less maintenance.

Not problem free, no. But at least routine maintenance and normal wear and tear are substantially reduced. On my Focus EV, I've done over 50,000 miles with zero repairs and just tire replacements. I've put a little under 100,000 on my Expedition since purchasing it. It's had a head gasket, throttle body, brakes, plugs x 2, and a manifold that needs replacement. All of those were done by me, with the exception of the head gasket. It's thrown P0430 and P019 codes, which required time to troubleshoot. The head gasket was over 3K (covered by extended warranty) and the manifold will likely run that amount as well. My daughter's Altima is leaking oil from the cooler and power steering fluid from a bad gasket. It will need a CVT fluid change soon. ICE vehicles just have more things to go wrong. The EVs just have less shit to break, and the parts that are subject to normal wear, like bearings and struts, are the easier maintenance items.

jjscsix

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Simple. $0. On a 2022/2023 it’s still covered under warranty.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 19 and at 26k it’s showing the trans temps creeping a few degrees over what it normally does. Usually 205-208 under normal driving. I keep it on the display most times so I noticed with it started being 210- when the weather changed cooler out no less. I’m going to guess based on what people have posted before that this is the start of the stat dying.

my dealer want aware of there being a new part for this. Highly concerning to have them do it since they struggled with the running board issue and really really wasted my time. I suppose I could try another dealer further away, or tackle it myself. I’ll have to look for the video.

btw that shop quoted 250-300 plus the part.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Was it hard to burp the system? Seems that’s not as straightforward on newer stuff compared to old school cars.

gtr09

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cuz those are free from problems... Friends Model S has had 3 motor replacements in 5 years. Granted, he's not doing the replacements and the first two didn't cost anything. My local pepboys has been certified as a tesla repair shop and every day there are over half of dozen of them sitting in the lot, but yes, they have far fewer mechanical parts and therefor should be less maintenance.
Should be, but aren't. EVs are nowhere near as reliable as ICE vehicles currently.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Was it hard to burp the system? Seems that’s not as straightforward on newer stuff compared to old school cars.
I used the FordTechMakuloco instructions when I changed my water pump and thermostat. Worked great.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Should be, but aren't. EVs are nowhere near as reliable as ICE vehicles currently.

I saw the headline, but have not had a chance to delve into the reporting any further. I suspect most of those issues are software related. Most EVs still have a lead acid 12V battery. Several manufacturers have had issues with connectivity and infotainment software running the batteries down, as well as other software issues. I doubt most of these issues required a mechanical repair. Both of my vehicles had these battery issues, but since I purchased them used they received software updates before I purchased them. My wife's Jaguar actually shipped with TWO 12V batteries, and losing the accessory one would render the vehicle inoperable. They've since switched to a single battery. The panel gaps, etc...that's probably Tesla's crappy quality. I've not seen cars from other major brands, like Hyundai, Ford, or BMW, with that level of body panel issues. My primary concern is replacing failed parts, which I've not had to do. Is the report publicly available somewhere? I'm curious to see what specific issues consumers reported having.

Speed 330

Reaction score
I was thinking the same when I changed my water pump a few months ago. Tired of clambering around the vehicle and fighting fasteners. That's why I'm transitioning my vehicles to electric.
Oh no electric come on man you can make better decisions than that