How many labor hours dealerships charge to replace 2022/2023 engine thermostat?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh no electric come on man you can make better decisions than that
Don't knock it till you try it. I have two ICE and two EV. The EVs are my favorite. My Expedition needs a turbo manifold and plugs, my Altima needs an oil cooler gasket, valve cover gasket , and power steering o-ring. My EVs need... nothing.

OP
OP
H

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't knock it till you try it. I have two ICE and two EV. The EVs are my favorite. My Expedition needs a turbo manifold and plugs, my Altima needs an oil cooler gasket, valve cover gasket , and power steering o-ring. My EVs need... nothing.

They need really long time to be charged.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They need really long time to be charged.
"They" is really broad. Some take longer than others. For daily driving you charge at home overnight. You rarely ever use the full range, so they are full in the morning. My Focus only has a 100 mile range. I use a public charger maybe two or three times a month at the most. My Jaguar has over 200 miles range and doesn't need to use a public charger ever for daily driving. For roadtrips, it depends on the model. For example, the Hyundai / Kia EGMP models do 80% in under 20 or 25 minutes depending on the charger speed. For my family, that's just long enough for everyone to go to the bathroom and return to the vehicle before driving for another three hours. Most other manufacturers do the same in 30 to 40 minutes depending on the vehicle type. We only take the Expedition when we need the extra space or if we're pulling the camper, which is a fraction of our driving.

OP
OP
H

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
"They" is really broad. Some take longer than others. For daily driving you charge at home overnight. You rarely ever use the full range, so they are full in the morning. My Focus only has a 100 mile range. I use a public charger maybe two or three times a month at the most. My Jaguar has over 200 miles range and doesn't need to use a public charger ever for daily driving. For roadtrips, it depends on the model. For example, the Hyundai / Kia EGMP models do 80% in under 20 or 25 minutes depending on the charger speed. For my family, that's just long enough for everyone to go to the bathroom and return to the vehicle before driving for another three hours. Most other manufacturers do the same in 30 to 40 minutes depending on the vehicle type. We only take the Expedition when we need the extra space or if we're pulling the camper, which is a fraction of our driving.
Short trips/daily commute to and from work only.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Short trips/daily commute to and from work only.

It depends. I rented a Tesla for a 10 hour road trip and their network performed nearly flawlessly. I switched stalls once because of an error message while charging, but apart from that one instance they all worked. We stopped every 200 miles just like with ICE.

All the other manufacturers are moving to Tesla's network starting in 2024 with adapters and will have native plugs in 2025. There are less traveled routes I probably wouldn't attempt even with a Tesla and holidays are no bueno. But most people buying these cars have several vehicles in the household.

omandave

Reaction score
I just ordered the parts form Rock-Auto and that included 2 gallons of the Yellow Coolant. including shipping it was $62.
There is a video on you-tube that shows the job being done on an F-150... that is why I am going to do it myself.
it should be a relatively quick and easy DIY repair, and I have a receipt for the Motorcraft parts to help prove that I am maintaining my vehicle to keep my extended warranty valid (in case there is ever a question).
119K 2019 Expedition Limited...
So I got the thermostat changed out yesterday between rain (north of Seattle and December lol)
All in all it was about 3 hour job for me to do on my own. I put it on ramps to get under the driver's side to attach a 1/2".o.d.with 3/8" i.d. vinyl tube to the radiator drain barb, and then drained out 1.25 gallons of fluid. Into a couple of old milk jugs. I closed the drain valve and removed the tubing.
Next came the topside work...
I then unplugged the sensor cable on the Air intake "Y" tube... to the turbos.
Then it was my deep socket 8 mm 1/4" ratchet getting the 3 bolts off the thermostat housing.
I pulled the housing back far enough to pull out the old thermostat. There was some corrosion looking stuff on the brass plunger end... Similar as that seen on a YouTube video...
Put a new OEM gasket on the new thermostat. Used a little bit of coolant to lubricate the o-ring, and installed it back into it's hole.
I got the first two bolts back in but dropped the third one... Extendible magnetic tip rod was my friend. Got #3 bolt in and that closed up the coolant loop.
Then reinstalled the "Y" tube to the turbo tubes and air filter box.
I poured in almost a gallon of coolant and followed the refill instructions from the Chilton's Automotive library... (Free access through my public library)... Granted I followed the 2018 instructions because 2019 only has the TSBs still...
Any way after filling up coolant.
Turn of climate control system
Turn on motor idle for 1 minute.
Run it to 3500rpm for 1 minute
Idle for 30 seconds. Then turn off.
Check for leaks...
Then since I did not have my vacuum coolant kit, yet...
I turned on the engine and let it idle to operating conditions, (noted by the radiator fan cycling)
Then it was 10 rounds of
Turn on motor.
Run it to 3500rpm for 30 seconds
Idle for 30 seconds.
Then turn off for 1 minute.

After round 10 the system is allegedly purged.
(I am going to check it with my vacuum coolant kit before any major driving...)
I let it cool off and finally added the remainder of the 1.25 gallons of coolant to get it back to max fill line when cold.

So far so good.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't have a breakdown for hours, but my total cost for a new thermostat, seal, coolant flush, new coolant, distilled water, taxes, labor and disposal fees was $499.23. Other than regular oil and filter changes, this is the first (maintenance) money I've spent on the Expedition. I also bought new tires with road-hazard warranty and had alignment done in the same trip. Getting all set for a summer road trip to the Rockies.