Intermittent No-Crank Condition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey gang,

I posted in another thread about this, thinking I might have it fixed, but looks like I still have an issue.

So last night we were in town, filled up with gas, went to start, and had no crank. Messed with it a bit and she fired up like usual. Thought it was maybe a bad connection at the battery, so cleaned everything up real good. Thought it was fixed.

Today, still have problems. Not sure what to check next. Where is the starter solenoid on these things?

Oh yeah, 08 Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4 165k.

OP
OP
S

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I hear a click from the passenger side somewhere. Does that mean the relay is working?

My next step is to check connections at the starter.

It seems to happen more frequently when the vehicle has sat for an hour or more...wonder if it's some connection that is good when the engine is warm and not so good when things have cooled off a little.

I suck at electrical problems.

OP
OP
S

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Couple of things that come to mind:

I just had it serviced yesterday at my local Ford dealer. Is there anything by the oil filter or drain plug, that they may have knocked loose, that would cause a no-crank condition? I also rotated the tires, myself, as well as messed with the ambient air temperature sensor at the front of the vehicle.
Just going through some things in my mind....

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Could be, backtrack is what I've always gave as advice. Look around the areas you and the dealer worked. A plug hanging, or broken/frayed wire maybe. Intermittent issues are the toughest to nail down, due to the intermittent part . As usual it's probably something simple.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, looked at it a bit more at lunch. Checked connections at the starter, everything appears to be as it should. tried it several more times, couldn't get it going.

gonna take it to my mechanic tonight. Don't have time or energy to mess with it.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Understand that. Life's too short to chase your tail. The wife and kids and job are more important. Curious what they find, let us know, moose.

OP
OP
S

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well of course.

Take it to my mechanic and it performs flawlessly. Typical. Just typical.
Intermittent problems are the worst.

Plati

Reaction score
Sometimes its something so simple too. Got in my Expy this morning, engine running ... could NOT get the wipers to work. It was frozen last night so I HAD to run wipers to clear windshield to drive. Late going to the airport .... WTF. This is crazy!!!

Turns out I remote started it and wipers arent gonna run until I put keys in and turn them, which I somehow missed. Ahhhh

Isnt there a condition with a starter motor where there is a dead spot in some cases? Turn key and starter motor doesnt turn even with power applied correctly?

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/666515-starter-hits-dead-spot.html

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What's that age old saying, it never hurts when you go to the doctor! Intermittent problems are the worse. It's like theirs a leprechaun sitting on your hood saying, catch me fool! You never will.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1