Intermittent No-Crank Condition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Next time it doesn't start whack the starter body with a hammer. If it starts then the starter brushes are dirty from use. Plan a convenient time to r & r it(starter) .

OP
OP
S

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thing is, when it doesn't start, there's no sound of trying, clicking or anything else. I laid under the vehicle on Monday while my wife tried to start it, and total silence from the starter. Makes me think it's not getting power at all.....

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When my starter was going out, it just made a single click or light chunk/clunk sound. Tapping it with a hammer as Stamp suggested got it going. Luckily, I picked up a reman new one from Ford. It got so bad within just 2 days from first no start, that I thought I was going to have to tow home. I got one last crank over by tapping at least 6 different times. Theirs a starter solenoid on your passenger side firewall. You also have a solenoid piggybacked on top of your starter like GM's do. It is very possible that one of the 2 is failing. Theirs tests, but the fact that your problems intermittent, you might want to test and or replace the firewall one first. Check the connection on those cables, they come loose sometimes. Also the push on wire from the key switch at the solenoid, be sure it's clean, and a snug fit. Normally we here believe in testing first, but your problem may, or may not show on a continuity test.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh man, there are at least 49 failure points on the control side of the starting circuit. Finding it will take time and patience. One failure point is the digital range selector switch that I think is inside the transmission.

How dirty are you willing to get?

I worked on a members 2007 who would come to Atlanta occasionally and had the same starting issue. Since he was traveling, I only had a short amount of time to diagnose it on each trip. Never found where the problem was, he opted to bypass all the razzel dazzel safety features and wire in an old school starting circuit for the times it didn't start. The factory circuit was left in place as the primary and the additional circuit was used when it failed.

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just 49? I thought that they're were at least 50!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just another data point, I have tried it in neutral as well, with the same no-crank results.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If they can't determine what has failed ask them to look up the wiring diagrams in order to jump the DRS in the trans. That would prove the switch faulty if it started.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tan Khai Nguyen