Is the Gator's 5.4 similarly reliable to the Expy 5.4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know it's 4v instead of 3v, so it's not quite the same.

OP
OP
A

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Gator went to the 3v along side of the expy.

So identical Triton V8 engine?

I googled it, it said 32v 5.4

I'm contemplating upgrading to 2012 or 2013 Gator L

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Navi had the 5.4 4v up till 04 I think, then they switched to the 3v in 05 (identical motor to the expy/f150 of that era) till the EcoBoost in 2015

OP
OP
A

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So....same engine, same tranny?

Just blingier styling, power running boards, and air suspension?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So....same engine, same tranny?

Just blingier styling, power running boards, and air suspension?

Yep. The mighty 4 valve 5.4 Triton didn’t go on unfortunately past 2005, good powerhouse, they should have brought it into the times and kept the Navi more powerful. Gets me thinking Imagine if ford made a DOHC 32V 6.2L Boss, that would be a nasty engine. 411 hp/ 434 torque out of port injection with 2 VALVE HEADS!!! It’s about time they slap some new heads on that b**ch and throw it in a pony car (or an expy).

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So mechanical reliability other than suspension stuff is identical to 3rd gen Expy?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They need to make a ford v10 dohc 40 valve, now thatdd be something

Yea would be cool but IMO it just doesn’t have the potential the 6.2L does. The big bore spacing and short stroke of the 6.2L leave a lot of untapped potential and it loves to rev because of its design. The Boss engine screams pony car material.

Last edited:

Andy J

Reaction score
Very true. I know itll never happen because of the tree huggers in the govt, but i would really like to see a modular big block. Chevy had the 8.1 and it was awesome, id love to see a 7.0 or 7.8 something along those lines from ford. If you are buying it to do work or go fast who are the politicians to tell you what you can have. If i want a car that gets 13 mpg, then i want a car that gets 13 mpg lol. I dunno i know im gonna get crap for this but im not sold on the eco boost line. Yea it has turbos and everything, but there is absolutely no replacement for a smoothly balanced, free breathing v8 like the coyote. That just screams america, the V8 is what we do.