Is the Gator's 5.4 similarly reliable to the Expy 5.4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
A

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Afaik, SUVs and pickups skate by on less demanding "light truck" class restrictions...

So... shouldn't there be some manner of "medium truck" class for the really big beasts???

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a good read on the 6.2L, had and has a big following. Ford spent so much time and development on this engine when Mark Fields revived this project in 2006. Supposedly the “Boss” name was because it was destined for the mustang, but we never saw that. This is really the best motor ford is making right now no lie. Big bore, short stroke, and.... CUBIC INCHES!!! The V10 is still in prod.
http://www.mustangandfords.com/news/m5lp-1009-ford-motor-company-62-liter-v8-engine/

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be nice if Ford did like Gm back in the day, shoehorn in a big block copo setup. Have a dealership like Don Yenko that would order up a 427 big block, and cram into a Chevy Nova! Ford probably had their dealers do similar, but none got the recognition of Chevy/Pontiac.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
A

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey remember the what was it, Camaro or Corvette maybe "blocked gearshift at dealership" thing, with it TECHNICALLY having a different gear count and eco testers having to row through it differently because a couple gears on the manuals were temporarily locked out and that counted as "factory stock", while restoring full functionality at (technically after) sale was an "aftermarket modification"????

I know I read many times that the germans like bimmer had a practice of selling identical-just-computer-detuned engines for some models like 2000's 323/325i's and 201x's 320i.... but that was for GOUGING the customer.

Can't that instead be used, mixed with"factory" cylinder deactivations like GM's half-off-in-cruise V8's....not for fuel economy in regular use, but rather as "factory permanent" settings for as far as CAFE CARB etc. are concerned, bur that can be coded out or ecu swapped or something in some intentionally REALLY simple way (maybe even cutting one wire or unplugging a connector) by the consumer????

Just imagine:
You come in and buy a V8 beast with beaucoup HPs.... that, legally speaking, is a deeply detuned 4-banger until you "MOD" it

poppie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Very true. I know itll never happen because of the tree huggers in the govt, but i would really like to see a modular big block. Chevy had the 8.1 and it was awesome, id love to see a 7.0 or 7.8 something along those lines from ford. If you are buying it to do work or go fast who are the politicians to tell you what you can have. If i want a car that gets 13 mpg, then i want a car that gets 13 mpg lol. I dunno i know im gonna get crap for this but im not sold on the eco boost line. Yea it has turbos and everything, but there is absolutely no replacement for a smoothly balanced, free breathing v8 like the coyote. That just screams america, the V8 is what we do.
Agreed, there is no replacement for displacement, horsepower is fine but there's still nothing like cubic inches ;).