Jacking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98EXPnSRQ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Could be that he is in agreement with page 144 of the 1998 Owner's Manual that states that the front and rear differential should never be used as a jacking point.

Good thing that information of this kind is for guys who don't know better.

You don't work on your truck do you. You can't put a jack under the front diff. And if you could you wouldn't want to because it's aluminum. Get back to reading your owners manual and tell us what else we're doing wrong.

OP
OP
A

AbbadonTD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I guess Its a nice mess out there. There is a pretty piece of frame up front for front jacking, it really was a question about the rear, and as usual, I have 100 opinions and no answers.

Every users manual in the world tells you to not jack by the Diff. I have always made sure not to be on the cover plate, but under the Diff, and use something between the jack and the diff itself, usually a 2x6.

If you are not jacking the rear via the Diff - How are you jacking the rear? and how do you swap in stands instead of the jack.

OP
OP
A

AbbadonTD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And without Dope, I wouldnt have any functioning cars (you see that Colorado over there?)

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I usually jack my 2000 expedition one side at a time under plate that bolts to strut arm. Then I put jack stand under differential tube. One on each side. I've had no problem jacking this way. My jack is only good up to 1 1/2 ton so this works for me.
6158c31ebf39281c68e983ea2c60d2b7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
A

AbbadonTD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We all have our ways. Good to see another opinion. I thought about trying there, but decided against it because my shocks were so bad that when I did, I could put the jack up to height, put the stand under, release, and the wheels were still on the ground.

My new shocks make a huge difference jacking the rear.

Man_tlac83

Reaction score
I use the diff and the same point as 1955Moose. It all depends on what I am doing. Yes, I put stands under the axles.

To me jacking it any other way, would be like using the jack that ford put in with the truck. Pointless, unless it really needs to be done that way; because that is the only jack you have.