Jacking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AbbadonTD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are more than one thread on this, but today I was installing a Air Ride 1000, and my neighbor walks up and starts telling me how bad it was that I was using the differential to lift the rear.

I chulked the front wheels, put a 2x6 on the jack, pumped up the Diff, slid in my stands at the jacking points on the frame, and let it down.

He is some old ford guy, and tells me that I will destroy the diff. I have done this with all of my 4x4s. I dont leave it up there, and I stay off the cover plate, and use a board.

In the front I jack from the cross member on the frame and lift both wheels, and put stands on the jack points.

Opinions?

[Install was easy on the Air Ride.]

98EXPnSRQ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With all due respect, the guy doesn't know what he's talking about. Hopefully he explained why he thinks this. I could use a laugh.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It all depends on what type of rear suspension you have. If you have the panhard rod it isn't a good idea as you will load the suspension in a way it wasn't designed to be loaded. Plus it jacks up on an angle.
As far as strength is concerned, as long as it is cast iron you are safe. Aluminum housings - you play at your own risk.

OP
OP
A

AbbadonTD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I thought that I knew what I was doing. Thanks yall.

I think he may harken back to a time when the frames were more parts, he has 2 really old [50s and 70s] F150's in front of his house (I pass them on the way in, and used to drive a 95 F150)

BAD RONALD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With all due respect, the guy doesn't know what he's talking about...

Could be that he is in agreement with page 144 of the 1998 Owner's Manual that states that the front and rear differential should never be used as a jacking point.

Good thing that information of this kind is for guys who don't know better.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I jacked on my diffs without problem. I banged them into large rocks without problem. I've teetered on them on a large rock without problem.

BAD RONALD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I jacked on my diffs without problem. I banged them into large rocks without problem. I've teetered on them on a large rock without problem.

I smoked dope and drove without problem. I drank whiskey and drove without problem...Went 100mph on the Turnpike without problem.

It's all good...

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nice defense. Being stupid and lucky is a little different than knowing the strength and capabilities of the diff housing.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And you don't.

Next time I jack on the diff housing and it breaks, I'll be sure to let you know. If you don't hear from me, know that everything is fine. Mechanics all around the world have been and will continue to jack on the diff housing.