Jittery ride w/ CCD?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rumline

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is my first body-on-frame vehicle so maybe my expectations are out of line but I feel a decent amount of up-and-down higher-frequency vibrations on a smooth road. It sort of feels like a tire out of balance but it doesn't seem to get better or worse with speed. Is this normal?

Blackscreen67

Born to spool
Reaction score
This is my first body-on-frame vehicle so maybe my expectations are out of line but I feel a decent amount of up-and-down higher-frequency vibrations on a smooth road. It sort of feels like a tire out of balance but it doesn't seem to get better or worse with speed. Is this normal?

22" rims?

Blackscreen67

Born to spool
Reaction score
All 2018 Expys with CCD come with 22" rims.

That's what I was trying to confirm.

I agree with you on the described feeling, and frankly it's just the result of the rim weight and tire combo. Dynopro HTs are no soft tires in my opinion.

My 12klb dually with 35s on 17s with high load springs and fox 2.0 shocks has less jarring than our new expedition does with ccd and 22s.

When I point out this little factoid to my wife she reminds me it' not my car anyways so it doesn't matter.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If your feeling vibrations, their might be somethin wrong wit ur tires or wheels. Im startin to see that ride qualitt on these are taking a hit now when they werent b4 when they were released.

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your feeling vibrations, their might be somethin wrong wit ur tires or wheels. Im startin to see that ride qualitt on these are taking a hit now when they werent b4 when they were released.

Why do you think that is? Tires need balancing more frequently than expected?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
rumline

rumline

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I agree with you on the described feeling, and frankly it's just the result of the rim weight and tire combo. Dynopro HTs are no soft tires in my opinion.

My 12klb dually with 35s on 17s with high load springs and fox 2.0 shocks has less jarring than our new expedition does with ccd and 22s.
Well that's disappointing. I wouldn't really call it "jarring" or "harsh"; it's a springy feeling not a banging feeling. I was expecting the latter but that hasn't really been an issue so far. I'm going to take my truck to a tire shop to see if the wheels/tires are out of balance/out of round. Have to wait until next week though.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score

When I point out this little factoid to my wife she reminds me it' not my car anyways so it doesn't matter.
But don't you usually drive in "sport"? The suspension rides a LOT stiffer in "sport" than it does otherwise.

Blackscreen67

Born to spool
Reaction score
Well that's disappointing. I wouldn't really call it "jarring" or "harsh"; it's a springy feeling not a banging feeling. I was expecting the latter but that hasn't really been an issue so far. I'm going to take my truck to a tire shop to see if the wheels/tires are out of balance/out of round. Have to wait until next week though.

Jarring might be the wrong phrase.

Here's comparison. My BMW X6M weighing 5200lbs and on 20s which has air controlled performance suspension rides like silk compared to the electronically controlled 2018 expedition with 22s weighing 5700lbs.

When you can feel every nook in the road, this is most often attributed to the rim and not the tire. You have to keep in mind the weight of 22" of rolling mass maintains alot of force.

Blackscreen67

Born to spool
Reaction score
But don't you usually drive in "sport"? The suspension rides a LOT stiffer in "sport" than it does otherwise.

This is a very good point! This is probably my problem! Wish it was a progressive load programmed into the stiffness where it becomes tighter with speed.