Jittery ride w/ CCD?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is a very good point! This is probably my problem! Wish it was a progressive load programmed into the stiffness where it becomes tighter with speed.
I'm not suggesting it's going to completely change your opinion, but it's worth a shot for comparison's sake.

Blackscreen67

Born to spool
Reaction score
I'm not suggesting it's going to completely change your opinion, but it's worth a shot for comparison's sake.

Well considering I'm averaging 11.7mpg in sport mode I'm willing to try normal. I just love how in sport mode it doesn't skip gears on acceleration.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey bs67, since youve had long term experience with both base and ccd suspension, which do you like more and what's the difference btw the 2? It sounds like you drive in sport mode and not normal or comfort(which maybe why wifey doesnt agree with your assissment), is there a marked difference btw how each set up rides?

Blackscreen67

Born to spool
Reaction score
Hey bs67, since youve had long term experience with both base and ccd suspension, which do you like more and what's the difference btw the 2? It sounds like you drive in sport mode and not normal or comfort(which maybe why wifey doesnt agree with your assissment), is there a marked difference btw how each set up rides?

Sorry if there's confusions, our first expedition was returned immediately to the dealer and have had the new one for only 150miles. My opinions are just initial impressions.

Frankly if I could've had the time to build it without CCD yet have the 22" factory rims and then put nicer shocks on such as bilsteins of Fox shocks that's the way I would've gone.

The sport mode changes throttle response, gear shift, but not 100% sure how suspensions altered.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
O so fx4 with 22in wheels lol. I think 22s on mine without ccd would be a bit too hard for me, its borderline now. I would love to get the 22in 2017 f150 ltd wheels on my truck though. Otherwise, if the front springs were softened 20%, the rear add 3 in more travel and slightly softer, and add dual stage dampers to prevent the slight buckiness on bumps and the ride would be perfect. Right now its 7/10

Reaction score
I have a 2017 EL with 20" tires and wheels, it's very smooth and rides great. The problem it does have is the rear shock control is horrible. Hit a slight dip in the road and the rear rebounds so bad it pulls the rear tires of the pavement. Definitely needs better rear shock control.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are your shocks ok, seems like theyre on the verge of goin bad. I havent been in a 3rd gen expy where it bounces all over the place after dips and swells and ive driven a few.

dhiggins

Reaction score
"This is my first body-on-frame vehicle so maybe my expectations are out of line but I feel a decent amount of up-and-down higher-frequency vibrations on a smooth road. It sort of feels like a tire out of balance but it doesn't seem to get better or worse with speed. Is this normal?"

This!!!! I have the exact same experience. I'm pretty sure it isn't the wheels. The vehicle I test drove did the same thing (Limited 302a package). I figured that vehicle had a bad wheel or something so didn't really worry about it. However, when I drove home my new vehicle (Limited 302A), I noticed the exact same thing! I only have 100 miles or so on it, but I hope I don't have to take it back to the shop.

I had a Toyota Sequoia (body-on-frame) before and there was nothing like this feeling.

Is CCD something you can turn off? If so, I'll see if that changes the ride.

Thanks, Dan

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
"This is my first body-on-frame vehicle so maybe my expectations are out of line but I feel a decent amount of up-and-down higher-frequency vibrations on a smooth road. It sort of feels like a tire out of balance but it doesn't seem to get better or worse with speed. Is this normal?"

This!!!! I have the exact same experience. I'm pretty sure it isn't the wheels. The vehicle I test drove did the same thing (Limited 302a package). I figured that vehicle had a bad wheel or something so didn't really worry about it. However, when I drove home my new vehicle (Limited 302A), I noticed the exact same thing! I only have 100 miles or so on it, but I hope I don't have to take it back to the shop.

I had a Toyota Sequoia (body-on-frame) before and there was nothing like this feeling.

Is CCD something you can turn off? If so, I'll see if that changes the ride.

Thanks, Dan
You can't turn it off, although you can change its characteristics by changing the drive mode. "Sport" is going to firm it up noticeably, although in my experience that is going to make it more jittery; "Eco" is going to soften it to the point that it's pretty floaty and bouncy; "Normal" is going to be somewhere in the middle.

I am very curious if this is a Limited 302 issue. I don't have this experience in my platinum. I can't think of anything that would be different on mine than on a Limited with the 302a, but maybe there is something I'm not thinking of.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire