Jittery ride w/ CCD?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just thought about this, try a navigator. I want to take my wife on a test of one since i plan on replacin my car with one. With the test drive ive had, the nav has a way more carpet like ride, with almost no harsh like feeling. Its soft though and some ppl may not like that.

ExpyQuestions

Reaction score
Sorry to bump a year old thread, but test drove a 2019 Expedition (SWB) with the 303A package this weekend and immediately experienced the "jittery" ride described here. We jumped in another 303A and that one exhibited the same. Searched Google this am thoroughly expecting to see this issue plastered everywhere, but not much out there. Rumline did you ever get to the root of the issue and get it resolved?

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry to bump a year old thread, but test drove a 2019 Expedition (SWB) with the 303A package this weekend and immediately experienced the "jittery" ride described here. We jumped in another 303A and that one exhibited the same. Searched Google this am thoroughly expecting to see this issue plastered everywhere, but not much out there. Rumline did you ever get to the root of the issue and get it resolved?

Explain the Jittery more please.

There is a dial by the cup holders to change the ride characteristics. I think mine is too "floaty" and soft in normal setting. I prefer how it rides in sport setting, but then the transmission is a lot more aggressive on its shifts.

ExpyQuestions

Reaction score
Explain the Jittery more please.

Nervous, unsettled, busy, bouncy. I think Rumline described it best, almost like a rear wheel is out of balance, but isn't. I understand that 22" wheels are going to have a stiffer ride over bumps etc., but this is different.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the regular suspension doesnt limit these qualities. Its just how these trucks ride, they can get slightly unrefined. One minute they ride like butter, the next you feel every crevice in the road. Ford didn't invest enough into/ran out of development money for the ride(it feels unfinished in many ways, but ride quality in particular) and it shows at times. Stiff and unreliable shocks, soft springs that they condense to add control(they dont lol), bad body mounts and unusually high nvh add to all the problems you guys are feeling, ccd or regular suspension, 22s, 20s, or 18s. Atleast with the ccd, it does a better job of isolation than regular springs, which are harsh all the time over the occasional harsh impact.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My CCD suspension combined with 20's on the Eco setting avoids most of the jitters on the highway, but it is a bit floaty as others have mentioned. I prefer a bit floaty to feeling all the jitters from expansion joints, etc in the normal or sport settings of CCD. Overall, I really feel that a big piece of this issue is that it's a body on frame design. I'd be interested to see someone attempt an RTI score with a 4th Gen and then see how much the frame twists after it lifts a wheel, etc. Wonder how well the doors would open/close when the frame is twisted...

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My CCD rides a ton better in Sport because it stiffens the shocks and they control the float and reduce it, but then you do feel the cracks and stuff more. Its a trade off, but I hate the soggy float as its nearly out of control on the backroads!

OP
OP
rumline

rumline

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry, I never came back to update the thread. I ended up replacing the tires with some Continentals in November of last year and the problem went away for the most part. My son no longer is bouncing in his car seat. Maybe the tires were defective, maybe it was just gremlins. Either way I'm happier now and forgot all about this until I got a notification on the thread today.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

ExpyQuestions

Reaction score
Sorry, I never came back to update the thread. I ended up replacing the tires with some Continentals in November of last year and the problem went away for the most part. My son no longer is bouncing in his car seat. Maybe the tires were defective, maybe it was just gremlins. Either way I'm happier now and forgot all about this until I got a notification on the thread today.

Well that's encouraging. I was not impressed with the stock Hankook tires and was wondering if a set of Michelin Defenders would help the ride. Seems like they would.

Thanks for the reply.