Life of an Expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cnuttgirl

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I recently rolled over 106K on my expy. I bought it two years ago (1-19-02) with 43.7K on it. I wanted to know what kind of life i could expect from my truck. I went to the '05 car show this past weekend, and wasn't super impressed with the new expy's. I have a '99 and want to drive it as long as possible.

What kind of mileage do you have on your expy's? Any major repairs to get those kinds of miles...like an engine swap or a tranny rebuild?

I have three years left on my loan, and i just wonder what i can look forward to.

thanks-

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine is a '98 EB now with ~110k on it. I bought mine used with 14k on it in 9/01.

I have done nothing but good preventative maintenance.

As long as you do this, I think you will have a number of years left in yours!

G

A friend of mine who owns an AMMCO Transmission shop once told me that if everyone changed their transmission fluid and filter every 60k miles he would be out of business. The average person thinks of preventative maint as regular oil changes, but many never bother thinking about the transmission till its too late. My suggestion to you is if you haven't invested in a tranny fluid flush and filter change do so soon. The only thing you have to lose is a future bill for tranny work.

Dario

Reaction score
My Wife and me just purchased a 1999 Silver Expy. It was a single owner car and pretty emaculate for being almost 6 years old. The one thing that we found at inspection was the Tranny oil!!

Many people who truly love their vehicles forget this maintenance item!

b_salgado

Reaction score
I have right at 170,000 on my 97. It has been maintained meticulously for the entire time. This includes tranny, oil, air,and coolant,and belts/hoses. Not one single problem to date. The only thing mechanically I have had to do is an alternator replacement. Still runs and looks brand new!

PaulC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's a tank. If you use it like a car and keep ahead of maintenance requirements, it will outlast the payment book.

rendrag

Reaction score
We own a 1999 XLT and at 117km we've been told we're looking at a new engine. We bought it at 88km from a Ford Dealership and babied it. We first noticed a ticking noise going over the Skyway bridge to Niagara Falls. Since then we've had many opinions on what the engine noise could be. Very frustrating situation for us, cause we still have 3 years owing. Ren.

OP
OP
C

cnuttgirl

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thanks for all the replys. i cashed in some stock to do a full maintnenace. plan on changing all fluids, plugs, belts, hoses, and hopefully have some left over to get the interior detailed. will be starting a new thread about types of fluid. heard a lot about royal purple, amsoil, and others.