Long Crank !!!!! Help !!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pepelepuu

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the IAC was the trick

Spicoli, was the problem the IAC? My 04 Expedition is experiencing the very same symptoms

OP
OP
S

Spicoli

Reaction score
Response

It ended up being a bad check valve on my fuel pump. I hooked up a fuel pressure tester, and as soon as I shut my engine off the pressure went to zero. The lines are supposed to stay pressurized so fuel will be readily available when you go to start it. Try turning your key on for a second or to then back off three times and try to start it then, if it starts right away this check valve could also be your problem. Hope this helps, Let me know what you find out....

jj1234

Reaction score
Where is the check Valve

I have a V8 5.4L with the same problem long cranking. It use to start up fast. Where is this check valve located? How do I replace it?

OP
OP
S

Spicoli

Reaction score
Check valve

Check valve is part of the fuel pump assembly, new fuel pump is about $275.

AW_3_3

Reaction score
The fuel pump if memory serves, is also inside the fuel tank in most cars nowadays, inaccessable to all but the most experienced mechanics. Definitely a job for the Dealer.

davesexplorer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First, I did laugh at your thread title. I believe the pump is in tank in that you would have to drop the tank, bring it out from under the vehicle and swap pumps. I've not had to deal with that yet that's just what our service guy said about our fleet expeditions.

jj1234

Reaction score
Thanks for the fuel pump check valve information. The problem to my vehicle was the fuel filter and that fixed the starting problem, but starts runs sluggish after driving for a long time. Any ideas?

yelgnissm

Reaction score
I'm having the EXACT same problem

Did cleaning or replacing the IAV fix the problem? It's the next thing I'm going to check.

M

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Go to the dealer to replace a fuel pump?

NEVER IN MY LIFE TIME

Two sets of jack stands, good floor jack, set of fuel line disconnects and we are off to the races...