Loss of highway mpg

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Demontang

Reaction score
Hello all new to th forum and have ran into a dead end. I've got a 97 expedition 4" lift and 35" BFg a/t. The rig had a factory 4.6 and the previous owner put in a 99 5.4, I've fixed a lot of sensors that wheren't hooked and have a gryphon with custom tunes for the motor/trans. It has 21/2" exhaust with a Holley terminator muffler and theres no cats (not my doing). I just replaced the stock 8.8 with a 9.75 that has 3.73 gears because I pull my camper which is 6k and I haul cars off and on. I run full syn oil in the motor and the diff.

Here's the problem. When I got this rig a year ago it had 7" of lift and 37" ssr on it. I drove it a lot like that and got on average 16mpg highway and 11-12 city. Well I took the 3" body lift off and stuck the 35's on and took a hit in highway mpg but my city went up. I'm averaging 13-14 in town and 5-8 highway. Then only codes I've come up with where p0420 p0430 and p1000. All the codes are taken care of now and the mpg hasn't changed. I'm pulling about 15-1600 rpm's going 60-65 and 18-1900 going 70-75 and the mpg is bad. I can't for the life of me under stand why the change I figured my highway would atleast stay the same. Only thing I can think of is the egr??

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
p0430
The Engine Control Module (ECM) monitors the switching frequency ratio of heated oxygen sensors 1 (front O2 sensor) and heated oxygen sensors 2 (rear O2 sensor).

A three way catalyst converter (Manifold) with high oxygen storage capacity will indicate a low switching frequency of heated oxygen sensor 2. As oxygen storage capacity decreases, the heated oxygen sensor 2 switching frequency will increase.

When the frequency ratio of heated oxygen sensors 1 and 2 approaches a specified limit value, the three way catalyst malfunction is diagnosed.

p0420
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5icTmYItwiE

most likely the converters are plugged, causing low mpg

Canadian Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would assume that because of the smaller tires your RPM are up from what they where when you had the 37" , so mpg goes down. I'm around 10mpg on highway ( heavy foot) 8-9 dose seem alittle low.

OP
OP
D

Demontang

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I just figured with losing the weight of those tires and with the tune it would be the same. The intown is what gets me 14 is pretty good for a 6k rig.

OP
OP
D

Demontang

Reaction score
So I finally got a vac pump to test some things with. I tested my egr valve and it passed, tested the egr vac solenoid and it flat won't hold vacuum?? The evap canister valve won't hold vacuum either. Arnt both suppost to hold vacuum?