LT Tires and Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Meeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I haven't seen this mentioned on any threads in the last few years, so I thought I'd share my experiences towing with 2 different type of tires.

2018 XLT came with the Michelin Primacy tires. Towing my 2016 Cougar 21RBS I have to be very careful to keep the tongue weight and cargo in check to meet the RAWR limit. But with my WD hitch adjusted properly and everything I could think of to compensate I still had some sway in cross-winds and when semis pass.

Swapped the tires for Michelin LT AT/2 (the actual LT version, not the P version of the same name).

The dealer did the swap and inflated them to 44 psi saying that's the appropriate number. Well, my first tow I had even more sway than before! I finally used my portable compressor to pump them up to 55 psi (warm) and it was a night and day difference. Nearly rock solid - as good as we can get with Independent rear suspension.

I'm now running at 55 psi cold, and I cannot say there's a difference in ride quality (but my covid butt may be absorbing the extra jolts).

I think the 44 psi came from the Michelin load rating table - it matches the dry weight of the Expy. But, at the RAWR it should have been over 50 psi. So, if you're in this same position, look at your tire pressures!

Just to round out the story, I noticed a drop of about 1 L/100km fuel efficiency with the LTs at 44 psi, and not sure if that improved at 55 psi (I'm assuming it will). The winter traction is definitely much better (although not up to winter tire levels on ice). As always, YMMV.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What made you go with LT tires? My understanding is that the ST tires are made to withstand increased lateral loads and sidewalk flex, and the correct trailer tire upgrade is a D or E rated ST tire.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What made you go with LT tires? My understanding is that the ST tires are made to withstand increased lateral loads and sidewalk flex, and the correct trailer tire upgrade is a D or E rated ST tire.

an ST tire goes on trailers only. You can run LT tires on a trailer, just take 11% off the load rating due to side all flex and the heat it creates. An st tire is super stiff and would bounce your brains out

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
an ST tire goes on trailers only. You can run LT tires on a trailer, just take 11% off the load rating due to side all flex and the heat it creates. An st tire is super stiff and would bounce your brains out

My bad, I thought you meant you swapped your trailer tires to LT.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Meeker

Meeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My bad, I thought you meant you swapped your trailer tires to LT.
Yup, to clarify I swapped the truck tires only.

I almost made a big error and got the P-rated ones though - I had my credit card out and then I noticed the max load wasn't what I was expecting on the sidewall. Too bad because they were half the price...

OP
OP
Meeker

Meeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What is the max tire PSI on the sidewall for that tire?
80 psi

All specs: Michelin LTX AT/2 LT275/65R18/E123/120R LRE (max load 3415 lbs @ 80 psi, orig. tread depth 17/32")

This table shows the max axle load allowed for a given tire pressure (so for single = 2 tires on rear axle, my 4380 lb GAWR-R means I need a minimum of about 42 psi with these tires).
But I find I need much more than that to get low sway.
d024cbf9-fcc7-4f33-9eff-491e8d4a28f2.png

Last edited:

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why not do a chalk test on the tires? You may be over or under inflated still.

RustyOval

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Frankly on my 09 I did not notice a big difference towing my 7,000#+ camper when I went from extra load tires to LT tires. The original 111-112 load rated tires were terrible, but the extra load 114 tires were a great improvement. I always maxed out pressure at 50# with my extra load tires. My LT tires could take up to 80#, but I would run them at about 65#.

Now with my 2018, I just put on extra load tires because I had good experience with them and I think for my purposes LT tires are overkill. JMO. Be careful with your pressures because some "Auto Places" have no idea what is correct and use the info on the door sticker... that information is good only if you are putting OEM type tires back on the vehicle.

OP
OP
Meeker

Meeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks RustyOval and Artie - I'd love to try the chalk test, just waiting for the rain to stop (which hardly ever gets said in Calgary but it's 2020 so...)

You know, I never tried putting the max pressure of 44 psi into the Primacys. I should have tried that - probably would have helped with the sway. In the end I also wanted better winter traction which these LTs give me, so I was upgrading anyway.