Multiple Radiator replacements

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
C

case2001

Reaction score
Ok. Last radiator made it 5 months and started leaking. I replaced this on last week of May so I am now past the 5 month mark.

No leaks. Heat front and back continue to function normally. Coolant temperature measured by OBD at hottest time in summer never over 197. Pressure of the radiator always less the 5 lbs.

It seems simple but I think the issue was the coolant mixture and old lines. The front heater core was clogged badly and there were deposits on all the lines.
Hopefully this is the end of the thread!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lightnig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That was quite the battle you had on your hands. Glad to see you stuck with it and got it figured - and for sharing such good info with us all.

Thanks and good job.

homermandy

Reaction score
Omg same problem

So after reading all pages I am laughing. I have replaced my radiator 4 times in the past year. Same leaking location as yours, passenger side of radiator. What is strange is that I found a 5.4 engine from a vocational school that had maybe 100 miles on it. They had taken valve covers off but that is as far as it went. Only after replacing my old engine (head gasket failure) with this engine did my radiator start to leak.

I have been using the advance auto lifetime radiator and have been replacing ever since. Since it is free replacement hard to switch to another brand.

I will keep an eye out and see if yours holds up.

Thanks

OP
OP
C

case2001

Reaction score
Well as of today still running like a champ.

Longest I have gone without cooling system issues in 2 years.

If you have ruled out electrolysis, Binding of the radiator mounts, checked the motor mounts and replaced the thermostat, I would completely drain the system. Blow the block out from the upper thermostat housing with the lower radiator hose off with compressed air. Then fill with zyrex antifreeze non diluted and add the distiller water to dilute.

In my case, I think it was the antifreeze, the deposits in the hoses I replaced and the deposits in the heater core. Because that is all I really did different with the last change. Prior, I simply added prediluted prestone. I do have a 70/30 mix of Zyrex now.

My buddies were giving me a hard time over Christmas saying my present was a my radiator not leaking.

Hopefully this will work for you!

Keep us posted.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

case2001

Reaction score
Sorry your right. I researched both. The Zyrex and motorcraft gold were the same. I went with Motorcraft gold. But when it's time to change it again I am going with Zyrex.

Nothing against Prestone, but all my issues started when the dealership changed from
Motorcraft gold to the green Prestone.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

case2001

Reaction score
Ok. Last post on this thread! Still working great. No leaks. I am well past the period when I had issues. Heat works great. So I am going to declare this fixed!

Hopefully some will find this helpful. Again appreciate everyone's input!

Status
Not open for further replies.