New 05 owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maloburro

Reaction score
Hi y'all. I just purchased a 2005 5.4 3v expy and will probably be posting frequently. So it has what I think is the cam phaser tick. It has 132000 on it. I'm trying to decide if I should just drive it, fix it, or resell it. If I fixed it I would try to do it myself. When I bought it I heard what to me sounded like valve train clatter. I have an 06 GTO and have always had a noisy top end. I knew about the spark plug issue but after I got the expy home I searched more deeply and found out about the cam phaser issue.

It runs well and has decent power. AC needs to be fixed. It was cheap. What do you think since you guys (and gals) have experience? Thanks. My wife and I like it but if I wanted another project, I would have bought a Land Rover.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Unless you're an electrical genius the Land Rover is not a project you ever want to tackle. The cam phaser is widely known of on the triton 5.4, my 05 has the tick from it, I heard the ticking on my truck since I met my wife (this 05 first belonged to my mother-in-law) I met her in 2006 and it's been 10 years and that noise is still there, it doesn't effect performance what's so ever and you can't hear it when you're in the cabin at all unless you stand idle next to a wall (drive through).

If you can pull the spark plugs out and replace them with new ones while applying a ton of anti-seize on the threads you just eleminated the biggest worry you had. It's cheap and easy to maintain and rides on a proven platform, with right tires it's bullet proof in snow and adverse weather, if you can live with the noise then you're golden if not i suggest you find a new buyer for it as many have attempted to eleminate the noise but it always comes back it's just in the design.

OP
OP
Maloburro

Maloburro

Reaction score
Thanks habb. Ironically this truck is replacing an 05 Liberty inherited from my mother inlaw owned from new. So it seems we have something in common. I'm not afraid of noise. I'm afraid of blown motors. It seems like some motors work well after the tick and some don't. My wife and I really like the truck, and my mother in laws father is a retired ford factory worker. So I'd like to keep it. But I need it to drive 7-9 hours reliably on occasion with 2 small kids.

And as for noise. I happen to like the sound of glass packs. ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Maloburro

Maloburro

Reaction score
Thanks stamp I will look into this. Is it different than replacing them? I watched a YouTube video on replacing them and while it doesn't look easy, it doesn't look impossible either.

Check into the cam phaser lock out kits. It will fix the ticking problem but aren't cheap.

Like Habb said, I wonder if it's noise vs necessity.

roush9799

Reaction score
I thought about tackling them on mine. I decided to let it be. Has 125,000 miles on it, seems like it has about 50 more horse than a previous '04 f-150 I owned, which also had the noise. After watching a video about what makes the noise, I wasn't near as worried about it. Sounds like if you fix it, it will come back again in time anyways. I'm taking mine on a 12 hour trip to Florida the last week in July. I have a front wheel hub to replace first, which should be hear tomorrow.

OP
OP
Maloburro

Maloburro

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome

Thanks everyone. Well Roush if you're headed on a 12 hour trip that makes me feel better. It seems like the problem could potentially get worse with stop and go and hauling. My hope is for this to be a freeway commuter for 6-8 hours at a time.

I threw the 0420 and 0430 cat codes today but I did the sea foam throttle body cleaner yesterday, so I cleared codes and and waiting to see if it comes back. I recharged the ac today, we'll see how long it lasts but it's cold for now.

My wife and I really like it. It looks good, drives well, tons of room. I'm just always pessimistic with a new vehicle. I'm pretty **** about maintenance and such.

As I mentioned, my wife's grandpa retired from ford, so this brings us back into the family. I've had 2 mustangs in my youth, a 68 and 87, both 5.0s and I loved them both. I really want this to have a happy ending.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 20