New purchase dilemma...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The chip shortage will likely be sorted out by next calendar yr. The odd issue will be all the 2021 stuff that finally gets rolled off the factory lots with chips. I’m thinking that February-April there will be a glut of 2021 stuff on dealer lots and deals to be had.

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The OP mentioned being tired of the interior. If that’s true then spend a little more $$ on a lightly used CPO Navigator if you are willing.

The 2022 Expedition should have a larger display screen and some minor upgrades but let’s be honest, it’s still a fancy “truck”. If you’re tired of your F150 interior you might like your Expedition interior for 6 months and then be in the same situation.

If you’re willing to pay $70k for a 302a Max then spend another $5-$10k or whatever it might be on a gently used 2019 or 2020 Navigator L Reserve. It will add some really nice features (24 or 30 way power seats, revel audio option, 450hp, etc) and overall just much nicer than the 302a and Platinum.

I have a 2019 Expedition 302a right now and am planning on making the upgrade at some point to a Reserve L because I’m a little bored of the interior, and just want a classier vehicle. I’ve been lowballed on my 302a at dealers though so will just wait for the used car market to fall as I want to trade in at the same dealer for tax reasons.

But, I will say the 302a is a great choice for the bang for your buck. If you haven’t sat in a Platinum or King Ranch you should check those out if you’re looking for something a little more posh but it’s still a truck looking interior of course. Either way, can’t go wrong with Expy or Navigator.

OP
OP
M

Molaf

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The OP mentioned being tired of the interior. If that’s true then spend a little more $$ on a lightly used CPO Navigator if you are willing.

The 2022 Expedition should have a larger display screen and some minor upgrades but let’s be honest, it’s still a fancy “truck”. If you’re tired of your F150 interior you might like your Expedition interior for 6 months and then be in the same situation.

If you’re willing to pay $70k for a 302a Max then spend another $5-$10k or whatever it might be on a gently used 2019 or 2020 Navigator L Reserve. It will add some really nice features (24 or 30 way power seats, revel audio option, 450hp, etc) and overall just much nicer than the 302a and Platinum.

I have a 2019 Expedition 302a right now and am planning on making the upgrade at some point to a Reserve L because I’m a little bored of the interior, and just want a classier vehicle. I’ve been lowballed on my 302a at dealers though so will just wait for the used car market to fall as I want to trade in at the same dealer for tax reasons.

But, I will say the 302a is a great choice for the bang for your buck. If you haven’t sat in a Platinum or King Ranch you should check those out if you’re looking for something a little more posh but it’s still a truck looking interior of course. Either way, can’t go wrong with Expy or Navigator.

I took a 2018 Navi for a test drive yesterday at my local dealer. It's definitely a great ride and I do like the interior. The audio system is killer. However my dilemma with both it and a Platy is payload. I know if I get a Reserve L, it'll probably have lower payload than a Limited Max. Same with the Platinum.

Now regarding the Expedition interior. I don't mind it. It's that I've had a 2016 F-150, 2019 Expedition, and now this 2020 F-150. So I've just gotten tired of seeing the exact same thing. A minor change with even just a larger center display would be welcomed which is why I do like that the 2022s will be doing that.

Last edited:

ROBERT BONNER

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the new car lots look like where you're at; but, here in NC you can buy any brand white regular cab pickup with a Reading box on the back that you want....other than that, good luck. My brother in Michigan totaled an Escape and needed a new car last week, he saw them unloading three Edges into a local dealer, two were sold before he got in the door and he bought the third. By the time the car hauler was unloaded, the dealership was back to, you guessed it, 5 white work trucks with utility boxes. They say that you can see the pile of Superdutys/Expeditions outside of Kentucky Truck Plant from the space station with the naked eye. I don't think things are going to be back to normal for a while, you might be stuck occasionally driving two vehicles to your destination.

As for "timing the market". The only way is with excess inventory. I just sold my 2007 F150 Lariat 4x4 with 200K miles for $16K!....to a dealer!!! I still have a 2013 F150, 2012 Mustang, and 2020 Expedition for 3 drivers...so, we can ride out the high prices for a year or two.

Good luck.

spanz

Reaction score
Sell the pickup, buy a cheap junker until the vehicle you want hits the market at a price you can tolerate.

yep, get a 2010 sequoia suv, or something like that, driving it like you stole it, then trade it in in a year for what you really want.
Old toyotas do not die.

Team_Z

Reaction score
I was in the same dilemma as you. I bought a 2018 F150 Platinum last year February, every option loaded eco boost. 10k on the clock, 42k out the door. Now, it’s at the dealer for a trans issue that Ford can’t figure out. It has 53k miles on it. I drove a lot last year but had lots of time off so only a fluke. And the dealer gave me 50k trade in for it! So I picked up a 21 Max Platinum 4x4 every option minus the tv screens. Too good of a deal to pass up. Figured by the time Ford irons out all the bugs on the new F150 and passes it on to the Expedition it will be time for me to trade this one in any. I leased this one knowing that the market would tank and depreciation would be an issue. So I have a sweet low payment with max Miles and the depreciation will be fords issue in 2.5 years. I work in the auto industry and have for over 12 years. We have never seen anything like this. I would lease if I were you this time around then buy your next one.

Keith B Morrison

Reaction score
I'm currently in kind of the same issue. I have a 2018 Expedition Platinum that a couple months ago was appraised at $40k. Today I am selling it back to my dealership for $53k. There is still a loan with $52k left on it so they are basically paying off the loan. I will be switching to a 2021 Ram 1500 10th anniversary edition and although I may pay a couple thousand extra, it is no where near the $13k I gained by them paying of the Expedition. If I was you and you can find the 2021 Expedition that you want and can get an awesome trade in deal...go for it...good luck

LG_123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought on the last day of Ford employee pricing (September 30) in 2019 and got a max platinum with HD tow and 8 seats for $62,500. We didn’t do a trade in. That has seemed like the best time for buying new.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
I am not sure why a 2020 F-150, will not work for you...I am guessing your having a baby. If it has 4 doors, is basically the same as the Expedition. You mention a second vehicle, what is it? You shouldn't need 2 soccer mom vehicles. How is spending $70K on a new Expedition practical, when starting a family? This is not a good time to buy any vehicle, used or new. The new car market, is being manipulated with shortages. Next year they will be looking for bailouts. That's what I am waiting for.

OP
OP
M

Molaf

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am not sure why a 2020 F-150, will not work for you...I am guessing your having a baby. If it has 4 doors, is basically the same as the Expedition. You mention a second vehicle, what is it? You shouldn't need 2 soccer mom vehicles. How is spending $70K on a new Expedition practical, when starting a family? This is not a good time to buy any vehicle, used or new. The new car market, is being manipulated with shortages. Next year they will be looking for bailouts. That's what I am waiting for.
Because I have 3 kids plus 2 more on the way.