Newbie Needs Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vandep32

Reaction score
Hi All,

This is my first post so i hope you can all help me. I didn't want to make 5 separate posts so i combined all my questions in on thread. I just bought a 2004 Expedition XLT. I will list the questions separately below:

1) When i place the car in park the needle does not point directly on the "P". It is to the right of it. All other gears the needle points directly on it. I am afraid that my car may not be going into park fully.

2) My high beams do not come on. There is no indicator on the dash. I have checked the respective fuse/relay.

3) My windshield washer sprayer is not functioning. The wipers work fine it is just not spraying fluid. I have checked all fluid lines. Before i go and buy a new pump i was wondering if it could be related to the previous problem #2 above. They both operate on the same turn signal switch.

4) Whenever i lock/unlock the doors i hear a buzz sound. (Pretty loud). Only two doors will actually respond and lock/unlock. The others remain unchanged. I was reading a little about it. Maybe the door actuators? If someone can confirm that would be great.

5) and last but not least of my problems is that i have a cracked heater core housing. (under the passenger side dash). I leaks water which i assume is just the condensation from the evaporator core. I am wondering if i could just seal it up with some super glue or jb weld. Right now i have couple pieces of duct tape on it and it seems to be holding up just fine.

Thanks in advance for everyone answers.

Please let me know what you guys think and thanks in advance.

05expedeb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For item #2 check fuse #35 and # 40 using a meter or test lamp.

For item #3 disconnect the connector at the washer pump and using a volt meter see if you get 12 volts when you try the washers.

05expedeb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Item #1 place the gear shift in the D position and see if the pointer is in the dead center of the D
If it isn't in the center it can be adjusted from under the instrument cluster as there is a adjusting knob which allows you to do this.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

This is my first post so i hope you can all help me. I didn't want to make 5 separate posts so i combined all my questions in on thread. I just bought a 2004 Expedition XLT. I will list the questions separately below:

1) When i place the car in park the needle does not point directly on the "P". It is to the right of it. All other gears the needle points directly on it. I am afraid that my car may not be going into park fully.

2) My high beams do not come on. There is no indicator on the dash. I have checked the respective fuse/relay.

3) My windshield washer sprayer is not functioning. The wipers work fine it is just not spraying fluid. I have checked all fluid lines. Before i go and buy a new pump i was wondering if it could be related to the previous problem #2 above. They both operate on the same turn signal switch.

4) Whenever i lock/unlock the doors i hear a buzz sound. (Pretty loud). Only two doors will actually respond and lock/unlock. The others remain unchanged. I was reading a little about it. Maybe the door actuators? If someone can confirm that would be great.

5) and last but not least of my problems is that i have a cracked heater core housing. (under the passenger side dash). I leaks water which i assume is just the condensation from the evaporator core. I am wondering if i could just seal it up with some super glue or jb weld. Right now i have couple pieces of duct tape on it and it seems to be holding up just fine.

Thanks in advance for everyone answers.

Please let me know what you guys think and thanks in advance.

#1...put it in park or as far over as it will go and take ur foot off...if the truck goes out of reverse and sits...ur in park and will have to take mental note that its going to be that way

#3...doubt theyre related...the hose or nozzle may be closed/clogged so try fixing/replacing that before the pump

#4...u will have to diagnose it to find out for sure...every truck may have a different reason why the same part isn't working

sk8blind345

Reaction score
#2 do you have low beams? If so it may be your turn signal switch its all one assembly. If you take off your cover on the steering colem so you can see the switch, testthe plugs while there plunged into the switch with a test light to see if your getting power out of the switch when you put on your high beams. Youl have to take out your key cylinder to get the covers off.if you put the key in and on the run possition there is a little pin you push in on the bottom of the cylinder you can use a screw driver or something pointy to push it in and the hole cylinder will come out. I work for a construction company as a mechanic and they have over 200 fords that come threw my shop so I see that problem a lot.

Last edited:

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All pretty easy fixes.
The highbeam / windshield washer pump are both on the same stalk switch.
If you're not getting 12v at the washer pump I'd suspect the stalk switch. But don't be surprised if the washer pump IS bad, it's not uncommon. Fairly cheap to replace. I only point to the stalk switch because the high beams are dead as well.
Was this Expy a former police or government vehicle ?
Sometimes they disconnect the rear auto lock harnesses at the rear doors. Sounds like the shift lever has been slammed into Park a lot too.
You can find all these parts over at Rock Auto.... try to get Motorcraft parts when you can....

-Mike

Stalk switch....
CBS1172photo%20primary__ra_p.jpg

Washer pump.... same pump does the front and rear ....
8-6730_Primary__ra_p.jpg

Last edited:

illuminerdy

Reaction score
I hope it's okay to bring back old threads. I did a search because I'm having the same problem as #2

I haven't had the chance to take it apart to check it out yet, but since the high beam indicator on the dash wouldn't come on I knew it had to do with the switch and not a fuse. I did a Google search simply stating "Expedition high beams not working" and the top result confirmed my thoughts.

There's a little connector tab from the stalk to the high beam switch that's short enough to easily disconnect after just a little bit of wear. On top of that the stalk loosens itself over time and the spring pushes it out just enough that the tab can no longer reach the switch. This video shows a pretty easy fix that can be done in no time at all once you get the steering column taken apart.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The easiest way to know is to pull one of the bulbs, hook up a test light, or voltmeter, pull the high beam on the stalk, see if you get voltage, and ground. It's what I always do, backtrack from there if your test light doesn't light. If the headlight/wiper switch doesn't make a click, when you pull it, switch time.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk