Newbie With Big Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marc

Reaction score
1st thanks for any and all help and suggestions.

My Story:
Been looking for an Expedition for my mom for awhile to replace her run down van, finally found a 1 owner super clean but with high miles. 185k
It has from my understanding been well maintained and ran and drove good.

Well went ahead and bought it for her. Since I would have to drive it to Illinois from Texas I decided to get new tires and do an oil change.

Day comes and off i go to Illinios 13 1/2hrs. woohoo
Here come the problems, front heater barely blows warm, but atleast rear heater blow hot, cd player doesn't work due to cd stuck in the changer.
And what has my undies in a bunch. I drive to see my mom at work, runs and drives fine, besides heat and the flutter from an exhaust leak.
I get back to her house and decide to leave it run while I clean out my trash from the trip. As well as it being 0 degrees out. burrr!

As I'm cleaning I slap the black cover under the glove box thinking maybe the door for the front heater is stuck next thing I know I hear a ding ding ding followed by the doors locking & then truck shuts down completely??
Go and try and start it, nothing but a click click click, try it again and it wants to turn over but doesn't, so I wait a min or so go to try again, it starts, but no radio and the wipers are super slow. Then here comes the ding ding ding, look at the gauges and watch them shut down, then the truck shuts down again, watched this happen 3 times.
I am baffled and a little ticked off, so I call my mechanic in Dallas and he said possibly a bad cell in the battery. That was a relief so I go, start it and off I went as quick as I could to O'reilly's to have the battery tested before it shuts down again.
Well battery isn't charging due to Alt. only putting out 20amps and so bad alt. and possibly a bad battery as well right, nope.
Well Ford couldn't get it in Mon. morning and I had to catch a flight in the afternoon.
So i went back to O'rielly's bought a Motorcraft battery & a new Alt. (close to $400) install the battery and took it to a shop close by.
They install it and come to find out, new alt. isn't charging the new battery either. So while they're trying to track down what could be the cause,I run the old alt. and battery up to get them checked out, both come back good. Super duper, auto parts placed don't take back installed parts, although the mngr said he would with the alt. but mechanic said he would leave it and it would've costed me another hr. labor and time.

Go back up the the shop, mechanic said that he unplugged and plugged some stuff back in and now everything's charging good and he can't get it to "not " charge. So he thought just a bad connection, as I was leary and nervous cause imo electrical is unpredictable and the worst problem to have.

Well as I'm driving the check engine light comes on and it starts to run rough. Run to O'rielly's and barrow their obII reader as I'm driving the radio turns off. Awesome!

Get to O'rielly's, run the test, says it's running lean (bank 2), I'm lost. So I have a truck that we give my mom to replace her run down van and I feel her run down van is obviously more reliable than this Expedition that we have dumped a ton into, went well over budget, and now sits in front of her house.
As well as I had to cancel my original flight and rent a car from Peoria to St. Louis to catch a flight, cause I didn't want mom stranded on the side of the road in zero degree weather.

So truck $3,850
tires $550
Alignment $80
gas $200
oil change & misc. $30
Alt. & battery $400
Mech. $75
So now she has to take it to Ford and I don't even want to know what that will cost much less if they can track down the problem.

It has to be something simple, right?? Anyone know what this could be, cpu?

Thanks for taking the time to read my long winded story. I feel this is the biggest piece and dumbest car buying decision I have ever made. :(

Marc

Last edited:
OP
OP
Marc

Marc

Reaction score
Thanks a ton! I talked with Ford today, they will look at it Fri. I told them about the code and idle, but now i can tell them just to replace this.
I'm in Tx. and my mom and the Expedition is in Illinois, which doesn't help any.
The shop I took it to there to swap the Alt. the 2nd time I talked with the mechanic around lunch time, I could smell dope all over him. It's getting harder and harder to find people/businesses that have integrity anymore. :(

OP
OP
Marc

Marc

Reaction score
Anyone else have any ideas on the electrical problems.........please?