Noise at cold Start up 2006 EB edition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RNPIII

Reaction score
I have a 2006 Expedition with 230K on the original motor.. transmission replaced at 120K…. I have a noise at start up, having done quite a bit of reading, it sounds like the timing chain tensionor… I use the MC 820S filter and 5-20 Pennzoil Ultra.. also losing about a quart of oil every 1K, when I add oil, the sound disappears. If I start the engine and then turn it off, then restart quickly, no sound. It seems like I am losing oil pressure (bleeding off) when the truck sits for over an hour. I have a quote for Timing chain kit, VCT Kits (both sides) and all related gaskets… $3,600….. does anyone know why the oil pressure would bleed off…..

rburch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When the engine is not running you dont have oil pressure. The start-up noises are usually cause by a filter that doesnt have an anti drain back valve to keep the oil in the engine from draining back into the oil pan. Could also be a cheap filter with a cheap anti drain.

OP
OP
RNPIII

RNPIII

Reaction score
I am using the Motocraft filter from Walmart... I assumed that Motocraft is Motocraft.... Any other filter recomendations?

rburch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No, With the mileage i dont think that it is premature for the tensioners to be wore out.

Whack

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Heck, my tensioners seem to be slacking at 113k mi. With 230k, I'd think a few timing parts could use replacement.

OP
OP
RNPIII

RNPIII

Reaction score
Too bad they don't make them like they use to. 351W I had in my Bronco had 490k with no problems with motor.... Burned up in a house fire... I miss the old girl!!!

rburch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I believe the tensioners use engine oil pressure to create the tension so the oil passage could be clogged with sludge or something else.

OP
OP
RNPIII

RNPIII

Reaction score
That's what I have been reading. Only happens at start up. That's why I thought is could filter related, but everything says use only Motocraft-- that's what I have been using. Changed oil today... Noise is really bad when I first start the truck--- then all noise stops & runs great!!! I am going to replace the CAM Position Sensors--- I am not sure it's going to change anything, but I guess it won't hurt.

OP
OP
RNPIII

RNPIII

Reaction score
Well just found this....Chattering noise on Startup - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums. In this blog they have a video that is the nois I have.

Here is the verdict of the post:
So I procrastinated (as usual)

The other morning after driving a few mins until I started getting a horrible vibration Truck ended up kicking two codes P0016-Camshaft Position Correlation (Bank 1 Sensor A) & P0012-Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Retarded (Bank 1)

Passenger side Timing Chain Tensioner had completly failed

I decided to do both Cam Phasers at the same time since they were in there for the Tensioner (phasers were making noise too ). The cam phasers alone were listed at $390 x 2 , Replaced tensioners, T-Chain, guide, arms, seals.

In the end...parts/labour/addtional fluids grand total was $2100

Just got it back earlier today.

Thanks Berry, T-Chain Tensioner it was.

That's not good.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jefes_Shyt