Occasional Long Crank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

46L281GT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Super easy, just need a 8 mm I think. The back ones are kinda difficult to get to, but not too bad. Just look up 5.4 spark plug replacement on YouTube

OP
OP
N

newexpyguy

Reaction score
After checking the coil packs (which all checked out ok), I decided to replace the Throttle Position Sensor, which solved the problem. No more long cranks at all, the engine fires right up. Not sure why a code wasn't triggered but seems like it was the faulty TPS which was the problem.

onlyexilove

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How long does it take to change the COPs? Any youtube links that show how to do it? Thanks for the reply's.

The COPS usually take me about and hour to 1.5 hours. Depending on skill level it could take upwards of 3-4 hours.

You will need the following tools:
1/4 inch socket wrench
7mm deep well or short well socket
extension (probably good with a pair of 6 inch extensions and a shorty extension)
1/4 inch swivel
extendable magnetic tool
flashlight or shop light

The biggest pains to remove will be the number 4 (passenger side in the very back under the firewall) and the number 8 (driver side in the very back underneath the fuel lines).

I would suggest to wear long rubber gloves due to the fiberglass insulation located on the firewall which is where your arm will rub trying to get to the number 4 COP. The connectors for all of the COPs are press in connectors and easy to remove. I would suggest removing them first before removing the COPs.

You will find a single 7mm small bolt that holds down the COPs to the intake manifold and there is only 1 bolt per COP.
Remove the bolts and then you should be able to reach the boot on the COP and remove then that way or even pull on the plastic top of the COP to remove them.

It is always best to use plenty of dielectric grease when installing the new ones to ensure that moisture stays out of the connection. During installation make sure to press down firmly on each one during installation to ensure the end of the coil wire connects to the top of the spark plug and then reinstall the 7mm bolt

I hope this helps!

panetta6pack

Reaction score
Long crank

I have the same issue but I was told there is a check valve in the fuel pump that would fail causing the fuel to loose prime ? is this possible ? I will replace the TPS for the 50 bucks or so but any feed back would help.

Wilson

Reaction score
Mine long cranks when HOT only. Dealership said it was the fuel pressure regulator located on the driver side, halfway back on the engine. I replaced that, but still get long crank when hot.

There is also a vacuum tube coming off of the top of the FPR, so I'm thinking that could be the culprit since I had had some issues with the vacuum storage canister and a couple of vacuum lines.

Cold start is instant.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wilson this post is 1 1/2 years old, if the op doesn't care to update, don't bother. He's either gone or dead!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snag

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Moose, I guess an occasional long crank is a good thing, but if you have a slow start when hot you are in trouble

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does that go with, you in long, you in hard, you indecent!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk