Occasional Long Crank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

newexpyguy

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, first post here, looking for some help.

For about a year now my wife's 03 5.4l expy has been having an occasional long crank when starting up. There seems to be no rhyme or reason when it will happen, sometimes it is hot or a cold start, sometimes it is when the tank is empty, others full, others half full. Of a possible 30 starts per week it probably happens 10 times. Enough to be annoying but not a problem...yet which is what I'm concerned about.

It always starts up when this happens, just cranks (almost seems like something skips) but then turns over and goes.

With the help of my brother in law (who was a Ford mechanic for a short time) I've replaced the fuel pump, crank sensor, cam sensor, spark plugs, battery and IAC none of which have fixed the problem.

I've never had a code pop up while we've owned the truck (about two years). It has 200,000km on it approx 125,000 miles so am hoping to get lots more mileage out of this beast.

Any ideas? I'm completely stumped and at a loss for ideas...

Thanks!

Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome to the site. The 03's have issues with the fusebox and fuel pump circuit. I would take a fuel pressure reading prior to inspecting the pcb in the fusebox. Of course take the reading when the no start occurs.

Last edited:

barricade

Reaction score
I have an 04 with the same issue. Only time it starts on a short crank is after it's sat more than 8+ hours. I'm at 130k miles

Last edited:

Dnny44

Reaction score
Barricade My 04 Has this exact same problem and just about 130,000 miles too. Our family mechanic thinks it has something to do with the fuel regulator.

46L281GT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had the same issue on my 04 5.4 with 120,000. I replaced a COP a few days ago and so far haven't had an issue. I will report back if that changes.

WarrenG

Reaction score
I have had the same issue with mine. Haven't taken it into the shop yet, but I noticed if I turn off my heater/ac starts fine. not sure why or if that is just a coincidence.
04' w/ 5.4

OP
OP
N

newexpyguy

Reaction score
How long does it take to change the COPs? Any youtube links that show how to do it? Thanks for the reply's.