poor MPG update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlo82585

Full Access Members
Reaction score
hey y'all, I figured I would give you an update on my 2002 expedition with atrocious fuel economy..

1st tank was 9MPG mostly in town driving, this tank of fuel was a mixture of about 8 gallons of new gas and 22 gallons of god knows how old dealer gas.

2nd tank was 12.3 MPG and was all highway miles..

I did the gotts mod

3rd tank was all in town driving and was 10 MPG

I had the exhaust redone in 3" pipe and cut out the muffler and res. still has manifold exh. leak

I topped off my tank yesterday ( it has 150 miles on it ) and was shocked at 11.6MPG

im getting new general grabber at2 tires this week for it so that will help too im sure. now with the ever changing econ I get the fun job of deciding when to park my truck to drop the fuel tank. I have the new fuel pump assembly but I want to run it down to as little fuel as possible before I drop the tank

I will keep y'all posted

ldutton6

Reaction score
What is the "gott mod"? I've heard that being said before. Also, my truck is a 99 Expy and it claims i get 10.4 average on the reader. Now, the only thing I havent done is the fuel filter. I changed all fluids, air filter, plugs, replaced 4 coils (other 4 are ok) and now im putting the exahust on soon. Hoping this works.... Where did you start the 3 inch piping?

Madmaxwell87

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I read both of your treads. I assume based on your MPG numbers that you're 2wd since 4x4 is 11 and 15.

The biggest increase in mpg I got was changing how I used my right foot. The less you push it in all situations the better and maintaining momentum and not having to restart/accelerate helps.

I will say that larger/wider/ more aggressive tread tires will not help mileage. Even if you got the same exact size but in a more aggressive tread that will lower your mileage.

After changing plugs, filters, and exhaust about all you're left with outside of gas pedal modulation is fuel filter, transmission fluid and filter, differential fluid, and tire pressure. Then you're into gears and tuners. Another thought is a bottle of seafoam in the gas tank and pulling some in through the brake booster to clean out built up carbon deposits.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jlo82585

Full Access Members
Reaction score
heres the best description and how to on the gotts mod

Gotts Intake (Air Intake Modification) - Ford Truck Technical Articles

I didnt really feel a difference from doing it but either way you slice it a bigger hole to breathe through can only help.

I went 3" from the cats back on my exhaust and lemmie tell you it sounds great, not overly loud unless you floor it. It also made a noticable difference in performance, nothing to write home about but noticeable none the less.

my expedition is 4x4 ( awd ) and the window sticker says 12 in town and 15 highway but I havent really done anything to improve it other than air filter so my guess is the fuel in the original tank must have been really old because an air filter and exhaust shouldnt give me 2-3 MPG. I will be throughly cleaning the fuel tank when I drop it and installing a new fuel filter as well so that should help too.
I only say new tires will help as the current tires are bald, weather checked and several of them have broken cords and im not going to a larger size or anything just an all terrain tire.

aircargoo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
madmax is correct....its all in the right foot to. i get 13 mpg i think. getting new plugs today...ill change filter ect.........lets see. trip reader says i can do 2700 miles....99 gallons @ 13 mpg $1023 around....$3.52 a gal. thats gonna be my trip inside 11 days from nj to fl. thats ALL highway but 80 miles intown driving.....

bcmaxx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
normal i'd say. Mines completely tuned up, average mixed driving as per inside meter is 14.5mpg

bcmaxx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
mileage drop to 12 mpg, 13 at best. I'm thinking its time to replace the front 02's.

hammerg26

Full Access Members
Reaction score
madmax is correct....its all in the right foot to. i get 13 mpg i think. getting new plugs today...ill change filter ect.........lets see. trip reader says i can do 2700 miles....99 gallons @ 13 mpg $1023 around....$3.52 a gal. thats gonna be my trip inside 11 days from nj to fl. thats ALL highway but 80 miles intown driving.....

2700 MILES!!!!! :driver: :)
DAMN!

superexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
IMG_20130728_104010_855.jpg

I only get 15mpg at 9# of boost while towing a trailer with 4quads on it....,, no big deal!

Last edited: