Post intake manifold swap issues-Help please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigmac091

Reaction score
Hello All,
Looking for some help please ? 2003 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4 L Triton engine . Owner for ten years and 167,000 miles. Started having issues with engine and my mechanic determined indicative of failing intake manifold gasket . Once he had it apart he determined manifold itself was showing signs of age and as he knew my intention was to keep vehicle he recommended swapping out manifold at same time . Additionally performed cooling system flush n as had already suffered several power coil failures I decided to replace remainder. After job done began to get service engine lights randomly and pronounced gurgling sounds inside engine cabin. Lights indicated " intermittent misfires " which turned out to be one bad power coil n another bad power coil connector. Gurgling attributed to need for cooling system to be burped . While driving temp needle would randomly spike to red line , critical warning light would come on , and engine would enter " reduced power mode ". When thus would occur usually after a couple of seconds it would fall back to normal range . Heat would blow but variate between warm n cool , never getting to max set temperature . Over period of two weeks we attempted to belch several times each time adding more coolant as needed. Returned to mechanic who realized that he initially missed fact truck had secondary rear heater core. He flushed rear lines and cooler . Gurgling again so we burped again n now heat was normal . After 4 days upon engine starting service engine light came on again and while driving now engine light will spike to red line , warming light n reduced power mode again but now temp does not return to normal but stays spiked until vehicle is shut off. Then normal operation n heat ? Burped coolant system one more time n same series of actions occurred three days later ? We are befuddled at this point and I am very fed up as this has gone on too long ! Looking for info please? Should I have him flush entire coolant system again ? I am at the point I want him to rip the manifold and start from scratch . Thanks

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Either the system still has air trapped in it or you have a blown head gasket. What is the coolant level doing, do you see small bubbles in the surge tank with the engine running and warmed up?

FYI - for future posts please break it into multiple paragraphs instead of one big text block - makes it easier to read/follow for "us seniors".

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You stated you were having issues with engine, what kind of issues? Was it a rough idle? Was it coolant leaking around intake? Once you burp a normal air/ coolant tight engine you should be done. Your overheating issue, leads me to a blown head gasket/ cracked block. Any indication of coolant in oil, or oil in coolant? Try running your vehicle with degauss bottle cap off at idle,see if any coolant wants to come out. The other thing I can't figure out is how does flushing coolant stop coils from burning out? Leaking hoses onto coils will. It shouldn't be that intense with a sound motor to purge all the air. Either jacking front of vehicle, or park facing uphill, with bottle cap off should do it. The other things to check are the cap at the degauss bottle for holding pressure. A failing new thermostat should fail all the time, not intermittent. The other last possibility is he crushed the intake gaskets installing them, which would block off flow of the coolant. Happened to a friend who has a 350 Chevy. You should have seen the rookie job. Pieces of the intake gasket not even covering the intake. Keep us posted.Moose!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

bigmac091

Reaction score
Either the system still has air trapped in it or you have a blown head gasket. What is the coolant level doing, do you see small bubbles in the surge tank with the engine running and warmed up?

FYI - for future posts please break it into multiple paragraphs instead of one big text block - makes it easier to read/follow for "us seniors".
Many thanks for the reply

OP
OP
B

bigmac091

Reaction score

Head gasket leak was checked n negative. Any time bubbles were observed mechanic had me hold RPM to 2000 with heat on both zones with dugass cap off . Engine would burp n we would top off any needed coolant

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you having to add coolant regularly, or is it air/fluid tight.If you have a coolant hose that's not tight, or maybe has a pinhole, you'll never get the air out. I'm assuming your mechanic pressure tested your cooling system after the repairs, and issues started. You could have a small leak somewhere, that could be causing symptoms. Any time a vehicle is overheating that's the first place you start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skinnylarry

Reaction score
Hello All,
Looking for some help please ? 2003 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4 L Triton engine . Owner for ten years and 167,000 miles. Started having issues with engine and my mechanic determined indicative of failing intake manifold gasket . Once he had it apart he determined manifold itself was showing signs of age and as he knew my intention was to keep vehicle he recommended swapping out manifold at same time . Additionally performed cooling system flush n as had already suffered several power coil failures I decided to replace remainder. After job done began to get service engine lights randomly and pronounced gurgling sounds inside engine cabin. Lights indicated " intermittent misfires " which turned out to be one bad power coil n another bad power coil connector. Gurgling attributed to need for cooling system to be burped . While driving temp needle would randomly spike to red line , critical warning light would come on , and engine would enter " reduced power mode ". When thus would occur usually after a couple of seconds it would fall back to normal range . Heat would blow but variate between warm n cool , never getting to max set temperature . Over period of two weeks we attempted to belch several times each time adding more coolant as needed. Returned to mechanic who realized that he initially missed fact truck had secondary rear heater core. He flushed rear lines and cooler . Gurgling again so we burped again n now heat was normal . After 4 days upon engine starting service engine light came on again and while driving now engine light will spike to red line , warming light n reduced power mode again but now temp does not return to normal but stays spiked until vehicle is shut off. Then normal operation n heat ? Burped coolant system one more time n same series of actions occurred three days later ? We are befuddled at this point and I am very fed up as this has gone on too long ! Looking for info please? Should I have him flush entire coolant system again ? I am at the point I want him to rip the manifold and start from scratch . Thanks

Skinnylarry

Reaction score
Has mechanic check the water tube that run under the manifold these have a problem with breaking off the little nipple and leak under the manifold this would allow for air and loss of fluids

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire