Potentially Bad Things (4.6 L)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A

APBAinMaine

I'm afraid of what the answer is going to be as I've been searching and following several somewhat similar threads, but here goes.

I have a '97 Expo with a 4.6L that I bought for plowing, moving the band. So far, I love it. However, while I was parked, idling while I hooked up the plow to move it the other day, something happened. When I went to move there was *gasp* white smoke. Not a lot, just like a puff. After that there was just a little bit of wispy exhaust. I didn't think much about it because it's been abnormally humid here.

Well, I took it in for some unrelated service today, and when I got home was disconnecting the plow (in its new location), and left the truck idling while I did. This time when I backed up, a new pope had been elected. Once that cloud cleared, it was fine again.

I'm thinking head gasket and hoping I'm dead wrong. There have been no codes, and it's otherwise running great (notwithstanding a small exhaust manifold leak that I'm ignoring). I've experienced a blown head gasket before, but this does not seem to be the same symptom. I put my hand over the exhaust pipe, though, and I'd definitely have to characterize the emissions as vapor. *sigh*

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
A

APBAinMaine

It does not seem to be, no. Again recently, I took it out and drove it around, came home and parked in the driveway to unload (typically I park it just off the driveway). After unloading I started it to a big puff of steamy smoke (not blue, no odor), and then, back to normal. Drove it two times since, no issues.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jefes_Shyt