Ready Struts for 2008 EL?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mbed

Reaction score
Greetings!
I have a blown rear strut on right rear. Decided to do a quick strut or ready strut to replace both shock and spring quickly(?). Research on some sites said regular length and EL use same one...others say no. Best answer so far was from Monroe's tech service dept...said the EL is heavier and longer and the spring on their regular one is thinner than one needed for the EL and it would lower ride height...didn't say how much or how it would effect driving, etc.

My question...did anyone use the regular ready strut assemble in the rear on an EL? If so,how is it behaving, etc.?

Second one is does anyone know a manufacturer of one designed for the EL?

Many thanks in advance!

GaryH2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've installed the Rancho "loaded" leveling struts on my 07 EL. From what I understand, the parts are the same for the EL and regular Expys. It may be due to the adjustable struts, but they have been fine for the past many many miles.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hardly makes anything easier

If you're avoiding buying an impact "wrench", and that's why you want as much assembled as possible, then instead go to Sears and buy the heavier duty of the cordless 19v Craftsman 1/2" impacts.

Plenty of power for all automotive needs and really a must have. You don't need a compressor or anything anymore.

And....if you DO have tools, don't go ready strut

PS and struts are ALWAYS replaced in pairs.

OP
OP
M

mbed

Reaction score
Hardly makes anything easier

If you're avoiding buying an impact "wrench", and that's why you want as much assembled as possible, then instead go to Sears and buy the heavier duty of the cordless 19v Craftsman 1/2" impacts.

Plenty of power for all automotive needs and really a must have. You don't need a compressor or anything anymore.

And....if you DO have tools, don't go ready strut

PS and struts are ALWAYS replaced in pairs.
Hi,
Thanks for the tips...I do have that exact impact gun. Weird thing is that it sounds like an air impact gun!

I was told the ready struts go in much quicker and don't have the issue of compressing the spring to remove the shock inside. Not sure how good my springs are (only have ~105k, mostly residential on them). Figured the ease of the change and the fresh spring would be worth it.

Could get the spring compressors as a loaner tool...but why do you feel eliminating a step or two is not worth the ready strut?

Thanks!

EL Expedition

Reaction score
I bought some cheap ready struts from Ebay, and yes they are much easier to swap, but I ended up returning them because they sucked really bad. My Expy bounced worse than with the the blown out rear that I had. The springs that came on them were smaller in diamaeter than the factory springs. Ended up just buying monroe struts and got a loaner set of spring compressors. Make sure you get quality struts and springs!

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi,
Thanks for the tips...I do have that exact impact gun. Weird thing is that it sounds like an air impact gun!

I was told the ready struts go in much quicker and don't have the issue of compressing the spring to remove the shock inside. Not sure how good my springs are (only have ~105k, mostly residential on them). Figured the ease of the change and the fresh spring would be worth it.

Could get the spring compressors as a loaner tool...but why do you feel eliminating a step or two is not worth the ready strut?

Thanks!

Ready struts are THE cheapest Chinese crud out there.... pre-assembled using the worst components around

And remember, it is one of THE heaviest civilian trucks on the road. Do you REALLY want a strut from a manufacturer that barely manages to make a passable product for an Elantra????

You still need a matching pair because unless you get adjustable coilovers, you NEVER know how high/low aftermarket components will sit and how much/little compression and play they'll have

The spring compressors are a "free" ($40-50 down, returned afterwards) loaner from Autozone O'Reilly etc.... it's just a type of locking clamp with a threaded rod adjustment

Easiest part of replacing struts.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Plus it's a truck... struts should be easy, plenty of space to work with

Now try replacing the whole front end for a bimmer 3.... I'm getting all sorts of phantom pains in my back just thinking back to all that fun.....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PalosX