Rear strut replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sam21black

Reaction score
I am replacing the rear struts on my 2008 King Ranch El Expedition. I was wondering if anyone knew what size wrench or socket I need for the lower bolt of the strut. I know it's at least a 1" or bigger, but not a hundred percent sure the exact size. I do not have air suspension. Thank you.

B

bedrck46

get out your tape measure and measure across the flats. then go to Lowes or Home Depot or wherever you buy tools and get the right wrench/socket. That way you will be 100% sure you get the right tool. Its most likely metric

OP
OP
S

sam21black

Reaction score
I'm going to do that, but I thought someone might know the exact size.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

B

bedrck46

That way you will be 100% sure that YOU have the right size.
Just in case someone were to give you the wrong information

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I believe the 2nd gens are 30mm, but not 100% sure if they carried that over to the 3rd gens.

OP
OP
S

sam21black

Reaction score
I measured and it is 30mm, and I'll let you know for sure in a little bit.

B

bedrck46

sounds like a somewhat good guess Your not sure!
That is why I suggested that he measure it so there is no guess work involved. He will get more satisfaction from finding the answer for himself than someone else taking a guess. And that way if you are wrong and he goes and buys a tool that doesn't fit he will be pissed at you. I never give answers to someone asking for that kind of information when they are capable of doing it themselves. \
So many come on this site for the first time asking for information that they can get for themselves.

OP
OP
S

sam21black

Reaction score
Like I said, it is a 30mm nut, but I used a 1-3/16" deep socket instead. I couldn't find a 30mm deep socket. The standard one worked just fine though. Thanks for the suggestions.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
sounds like a somewhat good guess Your not sure!
That is why I suggested that he measure it so there is no guess work involved. He will get more satisfaction from finding the answer for himself than someone else taking a guess. And that way if you are wrong and he goes and buys a tool that doesn't fit he will be pissed at you. I never give answers to someone asking for that kind of information when they are capable of doing it themselves. \
So many come on this site for the first time asking for information that they can get for themselves.

Yep, pretty good guess on my part!!