Rear window air-flow deflector?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lakesidebluexpy

Reaction score
Geo-

Yes, that's one version. What that pic doesn't show you are the pedestals this mounts to the rear hatch. Wide part is the top or edge that goes toward the front of the vehicle. If you look at the rear of your expy, you will see that the "wedge"shape more or less fits the profile shape side to side of the hatch. The underside shape sort of curls down.

There were a few models of these in the early x/nav years. Came in a package with the foil, mounting fasteners and a template for where to drill mounting holes.

By about 2006, these had disappeared from parts lists.

Lakeside

lakesidebluexpy

Reaction score
oops, wrong..... the narrow edge goes toward the front. The pedestals are molded into the bottom of the foil. It would stand off the hatch by maybe 2,3 inches.

The expy design had less sharp angled sides and was more rounded.

Lakeside

lakesidebluexpy

Reaction score
Another factor......early expy/navs had hatch glass hinges of a different design than today's versions. Our hinges stand up off the hatch while the 1st gen hinges were much flatter and smoother with the glass.

Lakeside

OP
OP
NevadaGeo

NevadaGeo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for all that Lakeside. I guess the Expy evolved with the design favoring fuel efficiency and engineers forgot about practically. So it goes. But it opens up a market for entrepreneurs to develop something that will be the envy of Ford engineers.

OP
OP
NevadaGeo

NevadaGeo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Might take a brave, adventurous soul to buy one and test, might also need cutouts to clear the Expy hinges.
I'll be in Reno area in May, might look in on the Summit store there and see if it might work.

https://www.summitracing.com/int/search/product-line/gt-styling-aerowing-rear-window-deflectors/
I checked out your website and nothing for the Expedition. Naturally, I don't want to install something that can cause a problem down the road (no pun intended). Thanks Todd.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I also wonder how well a deflector mounted UNDER the rear bumper might work.....I found this illustration:

Here's a CFD pic, comparing a NASCAR spoiler (top) to a NASCAR wing (bottom). These were both designed by competent people. Blue is turbulence. You can see how the red laminar airstream avoids the spoiler, but hugs the wing:

airflow.jpg

OP
OP
NevadaGeo

NevadaGeo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I understand the desire to create a "wash" over the rear so something like this might work as they claim it does:

http://www.truckoutfitters.com/accessories.cfm?cItem=17

the one at the top of the page or the one at the bottom?

jeff
Wow Jeff, this may be a bingo! I will contact them today to see if they offer anything like the bottom one for the Expy. The top one is for a split door, but the bottom (or middle) looks exactly like what I need.

Thanks for finding that and bringing if forward.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
3.jpg

Just another dirty window Einstein...