rearend whining again!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rfreels

Reaction score
Well with less than 8,000 miles on my new factory installed rear end it has started whining again. I noticed it on vacation this past week. The dealer said it was warantied for 12 months so off the the shop we go. 2003 EB 4x4

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would be curious to see what is dying in these Visteon IRS Differentials...... The 5.4 came with a larger version than the 4.6 does so I bet that it is a bad bearing or they are not setting it up correctly or somehing, I doubt that it is an actually torque capacity issue. It is also possible that one of your rubber isolators is messed up and you are getting noise transmitted to the frame and amplifing a otherwise normal sound level. Let us know how it comes out.....
Matt

OP
OP
R

Rfreels

Reaction score
Well new rear ring and pinion set installed yesterday. Ford bought this one too. 52k miles and now on my third rearend.

mustangrfast88

Full Access Members
Reaction score
sounds like something is out of wack or aint lining up correctly and making the rearend how a premature breakeage i mean 3 rearends that just aint right

OP
OP
R

Rfreels

Reaction score
Well after looking at my work order they installed shims this time. So you are probably right it was not shimmed this last time.

mustangrfast88

Full Access Members
Reaction score
so how long is it taking you to go threw a rearend maybe this time they got everything put in right and you wont have anymore problems

Kemp

Reaction score
As I replay earlier below is answer (for my email) from Ford USA. Maybe Ford needs more complains before they do anything??

Dear JP,

Thank you for contacting the Ford Motor Company Customer Relationship Center regarding vehicle recall rationale.

Ford Motor Company makes every effort to maintain a high standard of quality control in our manufacturing processes. However, despite these efforts, every now and then unintended malfunctions or mechanical "glitches" may surface. Recalls are issued on items that may cause safety or emissions concerns with vehicles.

Many factors are used to determine when a recall is necessary. Some of these include warranty, vehicle history, customer contacts, dealer input. These factors help determine when a vehicle recall is necessary. This is to ensure that our customers have the best possible vehicle ownership experience in light of some concerns, and/or defects that may be related to vehicles manufactured at the same plant or with the same components during specific time frames. No vehicle manufacturer is exempt from the possibility of vehicle recalls.

Please keep in mind that The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), which is the federal agency responsible for motor vehicle safety, and is the only organization with the authority to order a recall.

Conversely, your vehicle ?????????? is not involved in any recalls or customer satisfaction programs at this time. For more information on Ford Motor Company recalls or vehicle campaigns, regional recall programs, or concerns you may be having with your vehicle, please contact your dealership directly.

To locate a Ford or Lincoln-Mercury dealership please visit www.genuineservice.com and enter your zip code.

We consider the satisfaction of our customers one of our most important objectives. If you have any other inquiries or concerns, please feel free to contact us and we will be happy to address them for you.

Sincerely,
Mike
Customer Relationship Center
Ford Motor Company

[THREAD ID:1-33UQ3N]

-----Original Message-----

Sent: 9/18/2006 01:09:12 PM
To:
Subject: Problem_with_my_vehicle

Contact Us
First Name:
Last Name:
Email Address:
Zip/Postal Code:
Daytime Phone:
Home Phone:
Inquiring About Own Vehicle: Yes
VIN :
Mileage : 57000
Contacted Dealer: Yes
Servicing Dealer: Fairway Ford,
Vehicle location: My possession
Home Address:
City:
State/Province:Georgia
Questions: Dear Ford,
I have Expedition 2003 and rearend is whining pretty again (and making
sounds when turning). After Fairway Ford repaired it for $1400 problem
went almost away. It still had little whining but not too bad. (I paid
$250 because Fairway Ford at Evans was very nice and they helped me with
this!). That time my car had 38000 miles on it. Now it has 57000 miles and
it is doing it again badly. Whining sound is very loud especially 50 to 60
mph speed.

Question: Why Ford does not recall this well known issue and fix it before
something happens?

This could be serious safety issue if rear end "locks up" at 70mph?

Sincerely,
Kemp