Replace OEM Radio/CD Player

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djljr

Reaction score
I am keeping my 2003 Expy for a while but would like to upgrade the OEM audio system; nothing fancy, just an upgrade in the door speakers and a new head unit that will allow me to plug in my IPod; no CD player required.

I am sure someone on this forum has done this; any suggestions on equipment and intallation would be appreciated. I will be doing the work myself; just don't trust out sourcing.

ICrushedAPrius

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Doing the door speakers is really easy,and one of the best ways to upgrade. I found instructions in 2 minutes on Google. The door panel is barely even on there. the head unit comes out with the Ford tool kit. i got mine at Wal-mart for $6.00. And it popped right out.
I suggest Alpine Type "S". I got mine on Ebay for $140 for all four. they sound awesome, and can handle bass and treble without losing sound quality. For the head unit, Alpine and kenwood make great all-in-one head units that will come Ipod, sirius, blutooth etc.. ready, and will have enough balls to deliver power to the door speakers. They are a little pricey, ($275 - $500) but totally worth it. You'll save money and have a TON of options with a Kenwood, but they are difficult to navigate (WAY too many menu options) and the Alpine is a breeze to navigate, but will offer less of the oddball options, and is a little more pricey.
Hope this helps. good luck.

Last edited:

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For an 03, you need to take off the front dash piece (held by the 2 7mm bolts in the top part of the cluster.) From there, the radio is held by 2 (or was it 4) bolts of the same size.

I just replace my headunit with a Pioneer, and only the front 2 speakers with some 40 dollar Pioneers from ebay. The ones I got have plenty of highs, but lack the "punch" of bass, which is the reason I left the 2nd row speakers stock (since they have more of a punch.) Then, I have a 10 to finish off the bass.

My "system" isn't awesome-o, but for the money I paid for everything, I'm quite happy with the results. It is a huge improvement over stock. My friend helped me install everything, so labor was free :)

OP
OP
D

djljr

Reaction score
Prius/Elvato,
Good information and helpful. A couple of follow ons:

1. I need to get a service manual (not an owner's manual); I am sure there are options like Chilton, etc. and Ford probalby offers one. Which would be best for instructions on how to remove door panels, head unit as well as other basic instructions for DIY stuff like shocks, fuel filter, belts, exhaust, etc. Elvato makes reference to the "front dash piece held by the 2 7mm bolts in the top part of the cluster", good information but worthless without pictures or more detail that would be covered in a proper service manual. I also understand that there are anti-theft locks that can be disengaged with coat hangers bent in a "U" shape. Stuff like that would stop a novice cold without the detail in serice manual or assistance from someone that has done it before.

2. Will definitely look at the Alpine setup as suggested by Prius but also now thinking of upgrading to a unit with Navigation capabilities. I will 86 the CD player, just need a new head unit with IPod and bluetooth capabilities. Wife has Sirius in her car and I have never found it worth the bother.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i changed my entire truck. i dont audio daily or a regular basis...just enjoy doing it. i put in a Pioneer AVDIC-D3 (nav/dvd/ipod/XM,bluetooth) took bout an hour start to finish. i also put in 5x7 kicker speakers in all 4 doors, 2 kicker 12 CVRs (400rms each) MA Audio 1200rms mono-amp, and boss 15 flipdown w/built in dvd monitor.

i love my system...going to redo it to make it look better (fiber glass or new box/amp setup)

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get my info from a service manual. What I gave you is pretty much what the manual says, expect it kinnda shows a black and white drawing of the cluster (where the speedo is) and has 2 arrows where the screws are. Just look in there, and it's the only two screws in there. The manual doesn't even tell you what size they are. It also tells you to disconnect the electrical connectors. Oh yea, you also have to put the parking brake, turn the key to the ON position (not run), and move the lever to the one position, and move the steering wheel all the way down, then pull on the trim piece.

And there is no antitheft thing. It's just 2 screws. I don't really have a good camera, but if you search around here, I give a better description on taking off the dash, as well, as how to take off the door panels.

As for the service manual, I got mine off of ebay. It has everything from 2000 - 2003 on a DVD. I think there might be a torrent, but not sure if you have to change the date on your computer or not (like I have to do with the 05-06 torrent I have). With the DVD, you don't have to change anything.

Last edited:

METALLICA

Full Access Members
Reaction score
removing the stock sterio is easy but am not sure if the original stereo got the same or got universal sockets that would fit to a pioneer or any stereo... Does the alpine brand got socket w/c is similar to the original stereo? coz am not an expert in doing any kind of wirings.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't think so. What we did with mine is get an adapter (made by Metra or something like that) for the OEM plugs to "generic," then get plugs from Pioneer to generic, and plug the two generic plugs together.

At least that's how I remember it. I'll ask my friend.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have pics of my recent head unit install, I just have to find some time to upload them. What Elvato said is how you remove the dash trim. 2 screws on top, then put your tilt wheel all the way down, along with the shift lever into "1" to make room to remove the bezel to be removed.
Scosche makes a harness pack that has the main speaker/power harness and the subwoofer harness. You just have to splice the head unit harness to both from Scosche and then plug them into the factory radio connections. Unfortunately, the overhead dvd system won't work unless you get really involved in tracing wires.

WHOISMOOTOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check crutchfield.com put in your truck info and they will give you stereos that will fit and included in the price is the dash kit (adapter that puts the deck in oem slot) the wiring harness (with master wiring guide) and the best tech support you can find.... When im doing installs for my buddys i use the knowledge center and there is also the12volt.com that has alot of wiring diagrams.