Rotary Shifter randomly locked in Park

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Z

Zig10

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dealer said there was a TSB out regarding the issue and did a software update / recalibration on the PCM / TCM. Only time will tell, but at least they didn't dismiss it out of hand.

TX-EXPMAX

Reaction score
I just picked up a 2019 Max last week (really enjoying it so far) and have had something weird happen with the rotary knob as well. I was turning around and switching from drive to reverse (not used to how many clicks yet) and was almost (but not completely stopped) and the thing went all the way to park! Scared the ever living crap out of me as i could hear the transmission grabbing and i of course slammed on the brakes. I know I know, shame on me for not coming to a complete stop, but coming from an F250 that would allow for a little roll this was a change.

Is there not some safety mechanism that stops you from accidentally shifting to park while in motion?

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Theres ALL KINDS of safety BS. I was driving like 3-5 mph in drive and I popped my drivers door open and it immediately slammed the transmission into Park and it clicked and tried to shear off the parking lock pin in the trans. I was not impressed. I understand its not a good idea to open the door, but I nearly got killed as I was in an intersection and the dam thing stopped me dead and I needed to get it back into gear, take the parking brake off and then reaccelerate....

TX-EXPMAX

Reaction score
Theres ALL KINDS of safety BS. I was driving like 3-5 mph in drive and I popped my drivers door open and it immediately slammed the transmission into Park and it clicked and tried to shear off the parking lock pin in the trans. I was not impressed. I understand its not a good idea to open the door, but I nearly got killed as I was in an intersection and the dam thing stopped me dead and I needed to get it back into gear, take the parking brake off and then reaccelerate....

Yep, i was going maybe 2mph and it sounded like the parking paw was ratcheting the car to a halt. Unbelievable...

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You don't have to take the parking brake off...once it's in gear you can just accelerate and the parking brake releases automatically.

lobsenza

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I discovered this when backing my trailer into the lake. I opened the door to look and see how far in I was and it slammed into park. No, I did not have my seat belt on. I wear it all the time except when backing a trailer. A stupid idea. I can't imagine this is good for the transmission.

I do like the automatic shifting into park when you hit the start/stop button. This is especially helpful when the auto stop engages since it prevents the vehicle from restarting and then shutting off.

rcicca7

Reaction score
While moving my tractor around this past weekend, I moved the vehicle multiple times with the door opened. Here's what I experienced:
When my seatbelt was on, vehicle was in drive or reverse, and I opened the door - lights and bells started going off but it stayed in gear while at a standstill.
When the seatbelt was off, the vehicle would shift to park automatically - HOWEVER, it was extremely easy to just shift it back into gear while the door was still open. I DID have to press the brake pedal to get it to shift out of park when the door was open and seatbelt was off.
Either way, based on the flashing lights and bells, the vehicle is very concerned about safety when one tries to move the vehicle with a door open.
A curious thing to point out - my 2019 Expedition didn't do anything other than warning bell and light if one of the passengers unbuckled and opened a door while the vehicle was in gear at a standstill.
View attachment 64230
I have had similar problems, however, I didn't get any bells and whistles. I jumped out of my car and it started to roll backwards. The back passenger door was open as well and it hit a post and bent the door hinges. . .

rcicca7

Reaction score
Obviously it didn't shift into park automatically nor did the parking break come on. I have had issues where it will not come out of park as well. Parking breaknwas not on.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the driver door is opened while engine is on it will auto shift to park..

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm thinking that the brake was not depressed enough. Should it happen again try a hard slam on the brake pedal

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire