Running 37's. What to look for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Texpedition45

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've been lurking for a while and doing quite a bit of reading, but haven't found any good write ups. The inspiration for my Expy is Babysilk's, but I haven't seen any recent posts about his vehicle. From what I gathered, he had a TT/3" with a 3" bodylift, but haven't found the nuances of what comes with running such a massive tire.

So if I'm going to go down that road, what should I be aware of other than I need a bit of lift?

Thanks in advance y'all

jacks3am

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You need gears. Like 4.56 or 4.88s to even have good acceleration. And if you swap gears you will also need a programmer to recal the speedometer. I just put 33s on my f150 and can tell a loss of fuel economy and power. I'm planning on going with 4.10s

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

Texpedition45

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You need gears. Like 4.56 or 4.88s to even have good acceleration. And if you swap gears you will also need a programmer to recal the speedometer. I just put 33s on my f150 and can tell a loss of fuel economy and power. I'm planning on going with 4.10s

Yeah, I was already planning on going to 4.10's to get some power back, which is what got me thinking about 37s... would 4.56's be enough gear?

What about axles? I'm not planning on rock crawling, but it's definitely not a garage queen. Would the 8.8 and CV's on the front handle tires that heavy?

jacks3am

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you have a 5.4 or 4.6? Ide say 4.88s are what you would want, 4.56 is for 35s in my opinion. People run a lot of lift with cv axles and are OK but it will eventually be a weak point, I believe 37 is about the max you want to run on the ifs. The 8.8 I'm sure can handle it but others will chime in with their opinions!

OP
OP
T

Texpedition45

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bumping this for the new guys. Anyone running/have run 37's? The new bfg ko2's are apparently 36.5", and it has my interest piqued. Would it be doable with just a TT and spacers in the rear?

OP
OP
T

Texpedition45

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check this thread out here: http://www.expeditionforum.com/f39/max-tire-size-16559/#post128535

There's a member on here by the name of Thermo who's very knowledgeable on tire fitting and what works. HTH

Yeah, but he hasn't been on in a year if I remember correctly. I read all of his posts before posting this as he kept saying there were a few set of "specific" mods that had to be done, but he never shared what they were.

The other two members who were using 37s on their trucks haven't been on this forum in at least a year as well.

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Interesting I thought he had. Iirc he had mentioned cv shafts would be a weak point, gears, body lift, suspension lift, and trimming. Depending on wheels and what width of tire would determine if you'd need spacers as well. That's all if I remember right...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

Texpedition45

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Interesting I thought he had. Iirc he had mentioned cv shafts would be a weak point, gears, body lift, suspension lift, and trimming. Depending on wheels and what width of tire would determine if you'd need spacers as well. That's all if I remember right...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the trimming: do you recall what/where to trim?