runs hot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ballhead

Reaction score
After about 10 miles my 2000 5.4 runs hot. The thermostat has been pulled. I can pull over, let it cool and go again. I do not have to add water? I do not see white smoke, or bubbles in the reservoir. I flushed the system last week a and put in a bottle of Blue Devil thinking it was the head gasket. Any suggestions?

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You pulled the thermostat? Did you replace it with a new one? If so, what temp rating? I do you know it's running hot? What coolant ratio did you go with?

Yudaman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Running an engine without a thermostat will cause it to overheat just as fast as having a stuck thermostat.
The water circulates through the system too fast and cannot cool in the radiator.
Put a new thermostat back in ASAP.

OP
OP
B

Ballhead

Reaction score
Problem solved

Thanks for all the comments. I finally fixed the problem. After testing for hydrocarbons was negative, I took off the radiator and boiled it clean. Got 2 cups of rusty sludge out of it. I can only figure that the rust would clog the ducts after driving a while, the motor would get hot, then the rust would fall back down to the bottom of the radiator when I pulled over and let it cool.

Now to find and replace that MIL bulb.

Last edited: