Scammed or Clueless? 2009 Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I heard a commercial on the radio the other day, talking about how vehicles have longer service intervals on oil changes, and other items. They suggested to take advantage of 10-15k services, to save the planet from all the disposal of fluids. How does recycling oil, and coolant cause pollution? It gets poured into a big vat, gets pumped into a bigger tank in a truck, then to a bigger tank at the plant. Even if their is some pollution at the plant processing the oil, it would seem running dirty oil in a vehicle isn't helping. Not only does it damage our vehicles by running contaminated fluid, but the vehicles oil has parts of fuel that has made its way into the crankcase. Diluted oil is never a good thing circulating through an engine, and into our atmosphere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snag

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Moose, I agree 100%, its basically a wash IMO. I would never even go for the 5k mile oil change interval, oil is the only cheap thing we can do to these rigs. Some of the stuff we hear now days just amazes me. I do believe that oils are of a much better quality then they used to be but when you consider some of the RPM's these smaller engines run I just wouldn't go that long. Especially as we get into the turbo engines as its looking like being the way of the future.

OP
OP
R

rcanfiel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Off-topic question: what's wrong with the 2012 models? I have one and haven't had any issues in the past 105k miles, and I bought it brand new.

The 2012 is on the Consumer Reports not recommended list (I have a subscription).

Perhaps due to the new engine introduced?

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 2012 is on the Consumer Reports not recommended list (I have a subscription).

Perhaps due to the new engine introduced?

The engine and tranny had both been around for several years at that point. Nothing significant changed at all in 2012. In any case, I personally put very little stock in CR's rating. They don't spend enough time with a vacuum to provide a worthwhile recommendation let alone a vehicle. That's not to say I don't consider their feedback when buying, but I consider it a very small piece of the pie.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well all I can say is I put very little faith in what rcanfiel has to say. He purchased a 2009 because of the reviews from many sources. After all he did his DUE DILAGANCE in checking out what years to stay away from and what years to buy and then he puts down the 2012 model and goes and buys a 2009 with a bad engine and despite many members telling/suggesting/advising him to take it back he dumps another 6000.00 into a new engine and puts it into a Expy that has 130000 miles on the clock.

If the engine was neglected it just makes me wonder how bad the rest of the mechanics of the expy were maintained. But no need to worry The dealer gave him a warranty that is about as good as the engine he replaced due to existing conditions.

I agree with ManUp about CR's ratings and have to remind myself they are in business to make money and publish a monthly that people BUY.

Last edited:

Clemson82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The vehicle reviews in Consumer Reports are probably questionable at best, and have been for years. They often site a model year with a specific problem, such as engine or electrical, but the prior year and the year after are fine, even though the manufacturer didn't change anything. The best part is the "used vehicles to avoid" section; a lot of those I actually agree with. Regardless, I always opt for a warranty with a used vehicles (through the credit union, not the dealer). The warranty on my Mercedes paid for itself 13x over! What a POS that was!!

OP
OP
R

rcanfiel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well all I can say is I put very little faith in what rcanfiel has to say. He purchased a 2009 because of the reviews from many sources. After all he did his DUE DILAGANCE in checking out what years to stay away from and what years to buy and then he puts down the 2012 model and goes and buys a 2009 with a bad engine and despite many members telling/suggesting/advising him to take it back he dumps another 6000.00 into a new engine and puts it into a Expy that has 130000 miles on the clock.

If the engine was neglected it just makes me wonder how bad the rest of the mechanics of the expy were maintained. But no need to worry The dealer gave him a warranty that is about as good as the enging he replaced due to existing conditions..

And this insulting attitude is why I didn't post updates for awhile. Multiple spelling issues and the inability to understand what a reman engine does in relation to 130,000 miles notwithstanding.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I totally understand "what a reman engine does in relation to 130,000 miles notwithstanding" but that does not change the fact that there is 130000 miles on the trans and all the suspension parts.

However I am curious as to how it was determined that there was 16000 miles on the oil before it was changed.

OP
OP
R

rcanfiel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I totally understand "what a reman engine does in relation to 130,000 miles notwithstanding" but that does not change the fact that there is 130000 miles on the trans and all the suspension parts.

However I am curious as to how it was determined that there was 16000 miles on the oil before it was changed.

The $11,500 price reflects the age of the other parts and systems. For the engine, my mechanic thinks I have the. By the balls regarding getting compensated for selling with a bad engine. My evidence and recourses are considerable.

Regarding 16,000 miles since oil change, I guess the mechanic has a setting that tells the change mileage. He also video-ed draining the old oil, which was pretty bad. Both of these are a part of my evidence

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have been looking for a Exp EL for 2-3 months now, just found this site and now reading this horror story and you guys responses I am wondering if its the right type of vehicle to buy used... I have been looking for a 07-08 with as close to 100K as I can get for $10K... but what I am hearing on here is that is a potential disaster...there are not many of the EL's around western NY so I have been extending my search 3-4-500 miles out...now you guys have me scared to look at anything farther then 50 miles away! whats the real deal here...is the 5.4 that touchy?

Sounds more like an abused neglected vehicle.

Prolly repo'd frm crackheads

"Modern" motors never seem to run quite as long as well maintained simpler oldskool designs, but just look in craigslist you'll see tons of Expy/Navi/F150 with over 200k miles

I got a few livery driver buddies who say to expect that the truck should be good for 300k

Status
Not open for further replies.