Secondary Battery to run toys..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jered22

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just finished installing a new DVD head unit and 4 head rest monitors. Everything runs great. I thought I was all set until my 8 year old asked if she could play XBOX in the car... grrr. so now I am thinking of putting one in but am concerned with the extra power drawing from the new toys in the car. I know the monitors only pull 1amp a piece but if I add an XBOX to the car I am concerned that I will be pulling to much off of my factory battery. I was thinking about playing it safe and just installing one of those sealed batteries to the trunk area and running the extra electronics from that. Does anyone have any experience in these batteries and would it even be worth the money and time to be invested?

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
from what i know it shouldnt be a problem...upgrade the alt and battery and call it a day...it shouldnt be a factory unless she's trying to play it when the truck is off...other than that the battery should be fine while traveling...i'm going to do a PS3 as well...just have to figure out where to put it for easy access to swap games in/out

Captain Morgan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Freeway's right, the alternator and battery will handle the toy load when the vehicle is running. The alternator puts out enough to handle anything you're doing while driving around and I doubt your kids will just sit in the vehicle and play games for hours on end.

IMHO the cost and labor isn't justified for an additional 5A while you're going somewhere.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the longer im on this site...the more i learn!!! lol

teardrop

Reaction score
i use xs power batts for all my needs XS Power | Real Power, Unreal Performance the xp batts are good secondary batts saves some money and the d series are good all around bats cost more but can start your truck but dont mix agm and acid batts you will cause your expansive agm batt to die early in your case i would just use a d3400 under your hood and you want have to worry about power for what your running and you could add lots more with a d 3400 dont forget to charge your batts once a week a altanator dont charge they maintain

Last edited:

splintrcel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
being a gamer i would not run an xbox 360 in a bumpy car. If it tips too much the cd will be mangled to bits because the xbox has a really picky CD drive. If you want to run an xbox in the car you might want to get a different CD drive in it before you even consider running it in a car. Its just asking for a problem. Games aren't cheap so save urself the money and hastle.

teardrop

Reaction score
being a gamer i would not run an xbox 360 in a bumpy car. If it tips too much the cd will be mangled to bits because the xbox has a really picky CD drive. If you want to run an xbox in the car you might want to get a different CD drive in it before you even consider running it in a car. Its just asking for a problem. Games aren't cheap so save urself the money and hastle.

i second this or build a stand to attach it to with isolaters on it to keep it form jarring around

OP
OP
J

jered22

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for all the answers... So what gaming system would you go with? I was actually thinking about putting it upright in the center console... facing the rear seats... I was thinking about cutting an opening in the rear of the center console and putting in a xbox slim?

I would like to stick with one of the newer systems but I also understand that with the disc's they could be damaged...