Battery died

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

20Expy

Reaction score
I kept my dash cam plugged into the cigarette outlet inside the center console for 2-3 years now and my original battery seems fine with auto start/stop still working. Does anyone know if the car would still supply power to the outlet after being turned off? Because the camera usually records for another 30 mins before stopping. I'm not sure if the recording is from the car's battery or the camera's internal battery. FordPass rarely tells us that the car is in power saving mode, only when leaving on vacation for more than 2 weeks, it pops us the message.

Danm355

Reaction score
I've mentioned before in other threads on this subject that I now have battery tenders for every vehicle we own with quick connect cables installed on the vehicle. If I'm not going to use the vehicle for a week or more, it goes on the tender.

It is not like the old days, when you left your interior lights on, the battery went dead, you jumped it or put it on the charger and all was well, like it never happened. If you discharge a battery today, no matter how new, chances are it is done. Happened to me 2x in recent years and after battery replacement there was no indication of any other issues, such as a drain or charging system problem.
I just had my battery replaced by the dealer on my 2022 Expedition. It was just one year old. The problem with today's batteries is they are made from recycled materials and they are not as good as they used to be. There is so much electronics in these newer vehicles that runs in the background that it's constantly draining the battery so if it's not driven everyday it can drain the battery.

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As I said in another thread here, my brother just had his 5 YO battery changed in his Lincoln. The dealer was amazed it lasted five years. Service advisor told him the new batteries are not as good as the old ones. Between that and all the electronics, you'll be lucky to get 3 years anymore.

mwar99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've got 9 years in on a battery in a car, of course I don't drive it every day, but still 9 years seems pretty good to me. My wife's car went 6 years.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
till 9 years seems pretty good to me. My wife's car went 6 years.
I kept my dash cam plugged into the cigarette outlet inside the center console for 2-3 years now and my original battery seems fine with auto start/stop still working. Does anyone know if the car would still supply power to the outlet after being turned off? Because the camera usually records for another 30 mins before stopping. I'm not sure if the recording is from the car's battery or the camera's internal battery. FordPass rarely tells us that the car is in power saving mode, only when leaving on vacation for more than 2 weeks, it pops us the message.

Expedition cuts off power to 12V outlets after shutoff. I tested.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire