Show your Lifted 3rd Gens

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JZHOUSE

Reaction score
You gave me some options to try, thanks!

You are correct, I bought it with quicklifts on it but they were shot so I replaced them with another set of quicklifts. Going to check what setting the struts are on and test the travel to see if it clips the spring. Hopefully I didn't mess up any of the ball joints by allowing the excessive travel.

BTW great info on your website. Super write up on the 4x4 drive-train in these fords!

Thanks. I also did a YouTube video on the 4x4 system too.

One more thought too is make sure the upper and lower control arms have no play where they are connected. There are spacers in there that should be there that prevent any slipping back and forth of the upper and lower control arms. I have seen on installs where sometimes a spacer or bushing is accidentally left out and then over bumps or turns it can slide 1/2" and make a noise too.

Hope you find it soon as I know those things can drive someone nuts. Lol

jmidway22

Reaction score
Yeah I had wondered about the upper/lower sliding as I saw some scrapes in that area. Thought maybe it happened when they pressed the bearings/bushings at the factory.

I have never had a front end issue like this before and driving me crazy is the best way to describe it. I have had it into like 4 shops and most just start replacing parts hence my whole new front end essentially. Luckily its not my daily driver so I give it to them for a week to drive as their personal car so they can really feel when it has a problem but still no luck.

My next step after trying some of these options is a specialty shop that focuses on steering/suspension and 4x4s that is about an hour away.

JZHOUSE

Reaction score
I was told the Rancho quick lift would not work on the 15+. Is that in accurate?

Hello, I am not sure but here are my thoughts.

I saw the 2015 and it looked identical with the earlier suspension and I would be very surprised if they changed it. The only thing I know is they added some electronic suspension dampening control and different levels that the driver can pick from. Do you have that? If so then maybe if you switch out the coilovers, the fit might be fine but it might remove the option to control the electronic dampening.

If I were you, I would simply call any Ford dealership and ask to talk to parts and ask if the front suspension changed.

Or simply grab your tape measure, take some measurements of your 2015, and compare it to my earlier model.

From my experience, most times people simply don't know and most times new years are not updated to part selections.

An example is I was told by an Icon rep that they had no Icon coilovers that would fit my 2007 Ford Expedition. I ignored the fool, and took my own measurements of a 2009 F150 and they were the same. I ordered the Icon coilovers for the 2009 F150 and they fit perfect in my 2007 Ford Expedition.

Good luck and if you find your answer let us know.

JZHOUSE

Reaction score
Yeah I had wondered about the upper/lower sliding as I saw some scrapes in that area. Thought maybe it happened when they pressed the bearings/bushings at the factory.

I have never had a front end issue like this before and driving me crazy is the best way to describe it. I have had it into like 4 shops and most just start replacing parts hence my whole new front end essentially. Luckily its not my daily driver so I give it to them for a week to drive as their personal car so they can really feel when it has a problem but still no luck.

My next step after trying some of these options is a specialty shop that focuses on steering/suspension and 4x4s that is about an hour away.

Good luck and I hope you find it. For the upper and lower control arms, they should have a rubber or metal spacer on each side to keep it tight from sliding back and forth. Easy to see and check. There should be no empty space, not even a few mm.

JZHOUSE

Reaction score
In case anyone is bored :) Here are some shots of the lower/upper control arms, struts and sway bar linkage in case anything stands out to you as being a problem:

Drivers Side - https://goo.gl/photos/UtTvr8dvq89hQ8JHA

Passenger Side - https://goo.gl/photos/avPtKVww4jo4gdC69

Looks like there are some gaps but comparing it to other pictures I have seen some of those might be normal, but just not sure.

The photos seem normal. I did notice that the Ranchos knobs were not set the same on each side. Make sure they are both set on the stiffest setting.

Also, what about the top of the coilovers. Are all the three bolts tight on each side on the top of the coilovers. If not those could move and smack too. I will continue to look at the photos for anything else I see.

jmidway22

Reaction score
Thanks for catching the knob differences, I had just adjusted them prior to taking those pictures and rotated them till it seemed at the end.. these things bind so easy after corrosion I guess the last few settings are tight.

Yeah the nuts are tight, i checked that as one of the first things. I noticed the center screw to the strut is different lengths on different applications but I had heard not to mess with it

JZHOUSE

Reaction score
Thanks for catching the knob differences, I had just adjusted them prior to taking those pictures and rotated them till it seemed at the end.. these things bind so easy after corrosion I guess the last few settings are tight.

Yeah the nuts are tight, i checked that as one of the first things. I noticed the center screw to the strut is different lengths on different applications but I had heard not to mess with it

Yeah, and make sure they are adjusted the correct way, so to the highest number which I believe is 9.

Ok good so the top bolts that bolt the coilovers to the frame are secure, right? And on a different note, yes, you are not supposed to adjust the center nut in the coilover itself. They should however look the same on each side.

JZHOUSE

Reaction score
I'm at 90k on my 2013 and I'm wanting to lift it, so can I do this with all new coilovers instead of spacers ? Which manufacturer makes these ? I'm not trying to do 35' just 33s. Last thing how would I know if my 13 limited has the locker trac thing I don't off road just curious. Thanks

Hi, not sure if I answered you.

Rancho Quick Lift coilovers have some lift to them instead of spacers.

And if your rig is a 2013 with a traction control button and a 4x4 system then it will have Control Trac.

Check out my website and from their I have YouTube videos. One of them explains all about Control Trac.

www.1LifeLive.com

Control Trac video:

Last edited: