Sputtering problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blueovalguy

Reaction score
I got a 2006 Eddie Bauer 5.4 liter that is sputtering at 45 to 50 mph going up hill only.Scratching my head on this one.There's no code from the engine and I've put a good quality fuel injector cleaner in it.There's no other problems with it other than what I said above.I'm out of ideas and anymore would be appreciated.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Find a hill that is long enough so that you could keep it in the rpm range to produce a code.

f162mm

Reaction score
How many miles are on it? And when was the last tune-up you had in it??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

Blueovalguy

Reaction score
123000 I've never done a tune up.The thing that's throwing me off is there's no skip or miss fire until the motor is warm and your driving at 45 to 55 mph.It idles fine and when I give it gas in park nothing sounds off.Buddy of mine said try changing the belt.It does make a whining noise every once and while idk smh.

f162mm

Reaction score
Well , if the belt is cracked or loose that will need changed. I know it seems weird the miss fire at 45 to 55 when it's warm, but that is not uncommon, I have 3 vehicles, two since new and I do maintenance probably to fault. But I have discovered tune ups are a big deal. Now with your year Expo I would not recommend changing plugs myself due to the fact the plugs and threads my pull out. Have a Mechanic, one you trust do it. Do you notice this misfire more during damp conditions like it has rained or is raining?? You probably have a spark plug or more with the tips almost burned off. Don't you worry though, if you do nothing it will throw a code sooner or later.

f162mm

Reaction score
Ok, if your sure it's not your transmission hunting for a gear at those speeds going up the Hills, it really sounds like a plug or coil pack issue. My guess is a spark plug issue since you say it's between those speeds going up hill would also make me believe your vehicle has shifted out of overdrive at this point and in drive with the RPM,s higher, thus causing the vehicle just in those RPM ranges under that load to misfire due to the actually misfire in motor.

OP
OP
B

Blueovalguy

Reaction score
Going to change the spark plugs this weekend myself.Wish me luck because I've seen a lot of nightmares on YouTube.Any tips would be helpful.