Steering wheel audio/cruise button fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pkuchirka

Reaction score
Check the following for the speed control

Visual Inspection Chart
Mechanical Electrical
  • Speed control cable
  • Throttle lever
  • Speed control actuator
  • Brake pedal position (BPP) switch
  • Speed control deactivator switch
  • Bent brake pedal deactivator switch tab
  • Power control module (PCM)
  • Central junction box (CJB) fuse(s):
    • 5 (7.5A)
    • 12 (10A)
    • 28 (5A)
  • Circuitry
Thank you! I will be checking these!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When you press the brake pedal and the light goes off.

What happens when you press the resume switch? Does the light come back on?

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
preform the self test

Speed Control Self-Test Diagnostics

WARNING: This test is a key on engine off (KOEO) test only that is conducted in PARK only with the emergency brake fully engaged.

NOTE: A review of the following test steps is required before carrying out the Self-Test Diagnostic procedure. After entering the diagnostic mode, the module will time out if the mandatory switch sequence is not completed within 5 seconds. If a module time out occurs, the procedure must be reinitiated.

1. Enter the Self-Test Diagnostics by pressing the speed control OFF switch while turning the ignition key ON, making sure the engine does not start and is not running. Five additional flashes at this point indicate a defective speed control actuator. Release the OFF switch.

1. Press and release the remaining switches in this sequence: ON, RESUME, COAST and SET/ACCEL (for Expedition), ON RESUME, COAST and CANCEL (for Navigator).
    The speed control indicator lamp will flash after each switch is pressed and released. Press and release each switch in the sequence immediately after the indicator light goes out for the previous switch.
  1. NOTE: There will be a slight delay when the last button is pressed and released and the lamp flashes.

A lamp flash with the last button (SET/ACCEL) or CANCEL (for Navigator) indicates that the STATIC test passed. If the lamp does not flash with the last button and there are no additional flashes of the lamp, the switches are defective.
    If the lamp does not flash with the last button, and additional flashes occur, follow the chart below for trouble codes:

NOTE: If unable to enter self-test, Go To Pinpoint Test D .

Flashes

Source

2 Flashes

BPP defective, circuit is defective, brake applied

3 Flashes

Deactivator switch is open or circuit defective

1. Immediately after the STATIC test, the speed control servo does a DYNAMIC test by automatically actuating the throttle lever from 8 mm (0.315 in) to 12 mm (0.472 in) of travel from the idle position. During the DYNAMIC throttle pull, observe throttle movement to witness any binding or sticking of the speed control cable and correct connection of speed control cable to throttle lever. Make sure the throttle returns back to the idle position.
  1. Return the ignition switch to the OFF position and proceed to the Symptom Chart.

bronsonb

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my buttons, and I also ordered a replacement set off of eBay. Same thing with the replacements...only one or two items worked. Seller sent me several replacement sets, none of which worked. By that time, I had cleaned my original ones with electronic parts cleaner, and when I reinstalled them. everything worked fine.

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was going to take my cruise control cluster out and clean the contacts because it wasn't working consistently. I decided to give WD40 a try and it solved the problem for now. I put some rags on the steering wheel to absorb excess spray. Then sprayed the wd40 all around the switches an worked them several times. It's worth a try. I'll repost if it starts again.

R W Carpenter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This trick worked famously.

I had to kind of adapt a bit as I didn't have any denatured alcohol. I used QD Electronic Cleaner. It would seem that 12 years of sticky yucky dirty fingers were the culprit to some of my buttons not working. Also, for reference, you will need a T7 Hex wrench.

This procedure definitely takes patience.

Thanks for a great write up and for saving me $30.00.

illuminerdy

Reaction score
Thanks for this tip! About half of my steering wheel buttons aren't responsive. I'm going to give this a shot before I shell out replacing whole thing. Wish me luck!

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for this tip! About half of my steering wheel buttons aren't responsive. I'm going to give this a shot before I shell out replacing whole thing. Wish me luck![/QU

Welcome to the forum. Let me know if the WD40 works for your controls. I did mine back on 1/8/18 and they are still working fine.

James Waters

Reaction score
Excellent post! I've replaced two sets of these thinking they were 'broken' and now I know for next time...which I am sure after a while I'll be removing them again.