strut questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nonsense

Reaction score
I have run Bilsteins on my 2011 EL for 5 years now. They replaced OEM blown-in-the-rear struts, which was like driving on marshmallow roads. The OEM junk provided sea sickness in the back seat, and a downright vomit inducing experience in the 3rd row. The reason I chose the Bils is the stiffer ride. I tow a 25' camper and at least once a year do 12 hour days. Stiffer is nice in those situations, but they can be a bit rough on unpaved roads. It's a trade off I'm ok with because I'm on smooth roads most of the time. Though harsh they're still fine on gravel roads and I've never really complained, though I don't like mushy "comfort" suspensions anyway. I think the KYBs will be a decent middle of the road option though. They're typically a bit stiffer than OEM, but not harsh. I've had KYB on other cars and if I hadn't gone with the Bils I would have done KYB.

As for installation, if you're doing it yourself try to find a spring compressor that's bigger than the standard ones you borrow from auto parts shops, or maybe even take the set down to a local shop and give them a few bucks to let you use their bug strut compressor. I used the little one from autozone, and while it did the job it really didn't fit well over the big front springs. The spring wire diameter was too big to seat perfectly in the compressor and you couldn't clip on the safeties. If one of these lets go when your hands are in there it could get messy.

The kind I used
https://www.autozone.com/loan-a-too...macpherson-strut-spring-compressor/555557_0_0

Watch this video starting at 3:05 to see what I'm talking about. When he has them compressed it looks like they're going to bend

If I had to do it again on this vehicle I'd seriously consider just buying the whole shock, spring, and top mount assembly. It's a pretty easy job if you do that.

Last edited:

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've never ran KYB on a truck but I've had them on a few cars in the past. I've ran the GR2, Excel-G, and AGX. All performed significantly better than stock. Generally a firmer ride but that was my intention in all instances. I dod not do the strut plus assemblies and chose different springs. The GR2, predecessor to the Excel-G was probably the softest, was on a Camry but slightly more stiff/responsive than factory. The others were on GM W body platform vehicles. The AGX was like riding on rails but that was the intent as it was built for track duty. Mileage wise I didnt get too high before any of the vehicles moved on, roughly 35-40k on the camry. They held up well. If I were to replace struts on my expedition I would likely put KYB at the top of my list based on past experience.
That's why I don't like high priced shocks, they make them all too stiff so you think they are improved which is just a matter of tweaking the valve inside.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have run Bilsteins on my 2011 EL for 5 years now. They replaced OEM blown-in-the-rear struts, which was like driving on marshmallow roads. The OEM junk provided sea sickness in the back seat, and a downright vomit inducing experience in the 3rd row. The reason I chose the Bils is the stiffer ride. I tow a 25' camper and at least once a year do 12 hour days. Stiffer is nice in those situations, but they can be a bit rough on unpaved roads. It's a trade off I'm ok with because I'm on smooth roads most of the time. Though harsh they're still fine on gravel roads and I've never really complained, though I don't like mushy "comfort" suspensions anyway. I think the KYBs will be a decent middle of the read option though. They're typically a bit stiffer than OEM, but not harsh. I've had KYB on other cars and if I hadn't gone with the Bils I would have done KYB.

As for installation, if you're doing it yourself try to find a spring compressor that's bigger than the standard ones you borrow from auto parts shops, or maybe even take the set down to a local shop and give them a few bucks to let you use their bug strut compressor. I used the little one from autozone, and while it did the job it really didn't fit well over the big front springs. The spring wire diameter was too big to seat perfectly in the compressor and you couldn't clip on the safeties. If one of these lets go when your hands are in there it could get messy.

The kind I used
https://www.autozone.com/loan-a-too...macpherson-strut-spring-compressor/555557_0_0

Watch this video starting at 3:05 to see what I'm talking about. When he has them compressed it looks like they're going to bend

If I had to do it again on this vehicle I'd seriously consider just buying the whole shock, spring, and top mount assembly. It's a pretty easy job if you do that.
Not all auto stores have the same tools and I won't take a chance on changing the spring rate with complete units. You are throwing away good springs just for the shocks, and that guy making the video is a sleazebag, I never watch him plus he is a crummy "mechanic".

nonsense

Reaction score
Not all auto stores have the same tools and I won't take a chance on changing the spring rate with complete units. You are throwing away good springs just for the shocks, and that guy making the video is a sleazebag, I never watch him plus he is a crummy "mechanic".

This is true, I was just looking and some of the side by side pics of supposedly "direct replacement" shock/spring combos it's obvious that the springs are completely different. So unless my springs were rusty and/or saggy (not really a problem where I live) I'd probably keep the OEM spring and take the assemblies down to a shop with a good professional compressor. Otherwise I'd go with a high end full replacement that I know is either OEM spring rate or better

Something like these are so much safer and faster for changing springs
https://www.jbtools.com/jack-tech-s...OkkCGJCUUIc0IS5p9oBVcPEXe5lQH2GhoC91UQAvD_BwE

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/806...LAm7KODYo516AF1y0vnLCaEQDHqf7BWxoCTRsQAvD_BwE

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Those compressors don't scare me, when I need shocks I will borrow the compressors from O'Reilly's or maybe buy some cheap ones if I don't like the way those look.

nonsense

Reaction score
Those compressors don't scare me, when I need shocks I will borrow the compressors from O'Reilly's or maybe buy some cheap ones if I don't like the way those look.

I own the autozone set I linked to in the first post and have used them on many different vehicles without issue. They're fine most of the time, even the rears on the Expy were a breeze. Have you changed springs on the 4x4 Expy or F150? These springs are very thick and take a lot of pressure to move them enough to remove the caps. The ends of the compressor don't actually fit and are in danger of popping off. The potential energy in those MFs is really high, not something I'd want to do again.