Thinking of getting a 2016-2017 expedition with V6 - how are they compared to the older V8 5.4 Liter models?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wangle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey All,

I just learned that a ticking noise in my 2006 Expedition Ltd is due to what the dealership is calling "Internal Piston Slap." They took off the valve covers and checked out the rockers and said those looked good to them. After they ruled out everything they could, they determined that the sound is caused by "internal failure" and they recommended a new engine. They can't replace a piston b/c that is apparently just as much (or more) work then swapping an engine out so ... new engine needed. The engine has only 157K miles on it so I'm a little bummed out. I thought these Tritan 5.4L engines were supposed to have a little more durability....

Anyway, I am looking at (new to me) used Expeditions. And I have noticed that they are all V6 3.5L engines now. And I am wondering how they compare to the V8 5.4L Tritan engines? Can they still tow a 24' boat or pop-up camper like my 2006 model? Do they have the same torque? Do they have the same (or better) power coming off a red light? Can any of you who have come off an older model with V8 engine and gotten the new V6 give me advice?

Thanks!
I had this diagnosis also several years ago on a 2003. Turned out it was broken bolts in the exhaust manifold. I got another 40,000 miles out of her.

bring_em_on

Reaction score
Hey All,

I just learned that a ticking noise in my 2006 Expedition Ltd is due to what the dealership is calling "Internal Piston Slap." They took off the valve covers and checked out the rockers and said those looked good to them. After they ruled out everything they could, they determined that the sound is caused by "internal failure" and they recommended a new engine. They can't replace a piston b/c that is apparently just as much (or more) work then swapping an engine out so ... new engine needed. The engine has only 157K miles on it so I'm a little bummed out. I thought these Tritan 5.4L engines were supposed to have a little more durability....

Anyway, I am looking at (new to me) used Expeditions. And I have noticed that they are all V6 3.5L engines now. And I am wondering how they compare to the V8 5.4L Tritan engines? Can they still tow a 24' boat or pop-up camper like my 2006 model? Do they have the same torque? Do they have the same (or better) power coming off a red light? Can any of you who have come off an older model with V8 engine and gotten the new V6 give me advice?

Thanks!
Well, before you do anything with your current Expedition (and if you want to keep it), I would take it to an independent shop and see if they can give you a second opinion. Make sure it's someone with a good reputation and can tackle bigger jobs. I had a very similar issue with my '05. You can read the thread here:

I ended up going with the fix. This was back in 2010 and while I no longer own the vehicle, I know it's still on the road to this day.

With that said, I now own a 2021 Limited with the HD tow package and I tow a 6k pound boat/trailer. My '05 would struggle a bit on hilly roads but this '21 doesn't slow down a bit. It's all in the torque (470lbs), 10 Spd, and 3.73's.

If you got the budget for a new(er) vehicle and want the additional bells and whistles, then a newer one is the way to go.

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d get the newer EcoBoost just to have the newer truck. The magic on the 2007 and newer is the 6R80 transmission. You can’t even compare a 2006 to a 3rd gen on low end power whether it’s 5.4 V8 or 3.5 V6. The 1st gear on the 6R80 is so much lower than the 4R70 it’s night and day.

Last edited:

jwas1

Reaction score
Hey All,

Thanks!
I have had several Expys all bought new with Triton V8. Now have a 2018 XLT with V6. No comparison V6 is hands down better. More power, better gas mileage etc

Ellison Brown III

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I own a 2004 5.4 Eddie Bauer, and a 2016 Ecoboost. Difference is night, and day. Not to mention I have a towing/ performance tune that gives me 385hp/ 603lbs-ft of tq at the rear wheels. The 04’s got 304,213mi on it. Albeit, it’s probably a little tired now… never on it’s best day could it compare to the Ecoboost though.

CAKD07

Reaction score
I had a 2005 Expy (shown) and it lasted until 330K miles last October. She lead a great life and I decided it was time to let her go. I found a 2016 Expy in excellent condition at a local dealer lot and have had it for 12 months now and it's great. Here in DFW you can donate your old car and get a great tax write off and I did that with my old Expy, saves on trying to sell a car with issues. This was my 2nd time donating to "Cars for Kids" and I'd highly recommend it if you have something similar in your area and you can find a used vehicle. I understand with the chip shortage (if there is indeed such a thing), used vehicles are hard to find as well.

Groover

Reaction score
I understand with the chip shortage (if there is indeed such a thing)
Yes there is a chip shortage. I have a set of boards I want to build up but everywhere is out of stock of multiple chips that are needed. We've had to delay introduction of a new product that is ready to go because we can't get the chips. I had to scrounge some chips from a broker in Hong Kong and when I got them I didn't know for sure if they were counterfeit or not. Thankfully they were not. We've had customers of ours struggling as well and even alternatives are out of stock. I don't work in automotive. It's a right pain.

CAKD07

Reaction score
Hey you asked about V-8 vs. a 6 and I forgot to reply on that. I had the 5.4 V-8 and I'd have to say it was a disappointment, especially travelling out west in the mountains. It didn't get great gas mileage and I had to replace plugs and the cats with it. This 6 cyl Eco-Boost I have now is great. I get great gas mileage and it's pepper than the V8 was. Of course I'm sure the body weighs less and they've done other things in 11 years to help, but I'm a happy camper.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Imho use Diesel Synthetic 5w40 (Rotella T6 or the like) on the 5.4's.

Much smoother.