Thinking of getting a 2016-2017 expedition with V6 - how are they compared to the older V8 5.4 Liter models?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

larkja

Reaction score
I am on my fourth expy/f150. 2003 Expy (5.4), 2014 F150 (with ecoboost), 2014 Expy EL (5.4), and my current 2000 Expy with a 5.4. My thoughts/observations:

Had the the 2003 for 10 years and 200,000 miles and then donated to charity. The engine and tranny were rock stars. It was everything else that was driving me nuts - mainly electronics.
2014 F150 - Had for three years. Put 20,000 on it. Purchased with less than 30,000 miles used. Never had an issue.
2014 Expy EL - Had for two years. Only drove 10,000 miles. No issues.
2000 Expy - Purchase a couple months ago. 5.4 and tranny running strong. Vehicle only has 120,000 on the clock.

I have had zero issues with either the ecoboost or 5.4L. The thing I didn't like with the ecoboost is the turbo lag. If you're trying to do a quick merge on the freeway, you need to be on the boost before merging. The lag is a good second, and if you're not prepared, you could get rear-ended. I tested a 2016 Expy and that ecoboost did the same thing so I suspect it's just inherent with the motor.

The ecoboost will also get better gas mileage. If buying used with lower mileage, I would get an ecoboost with a warranty. If no warranty available, I would get the 5.4L.

Just my $.02.

bws2015

Reaction score
Before I bought a 2015 expedition, I didn't know that the 3.5 ecoboost was the only option. This is the only forum I've been on where the 5.4 is even in the same discussion as the ecoboost. Everywhere else its 5.0 vs ecoboost. I have a f 150 5.0 and the expedition with the 3.5 ecoboost, and I find that the power is very comparable between those two. I don't notice any turbo lag on the ecoboost, it makes its power at lower rpm than the 5.0.

mbtech2003

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I thought it was piston slap too in my 05 5.4. Was just cam phasers. I did them with all timing components at 134k. Has 180+ on it now. Also I’m using 5-30 oil. As it uses 1 quart of oil every 800 miles or so.

Eldelewis

Reaction score
I had a 2004 with 5.4, really had no mechanical issues or towing concerns. Replaced it with a 2017 Limited Ecoboost with HD Towing package. Overall I enjoy the newer version because of bells n whistles (20 plus mpg, back up camera, heated/cooled seats, remote start, etc.) Towing is a whole nother animal tho. Specs say 9200 towing capacity, mine struggles with 6000. Six mpg towing and have to use manual shift. In its defense, I have 3:15 gears (dont know why a HD Towing vehicle would have that and how I missed it at purchase) where the 3:31 or 3:55 ratios would help for towing as mentioned by others. Love my Expy, but no longer considered for towing my cargo trailer more than short distances. Towing issue not enough to make me want to replace it. My 2 cents...

Rusty90272

Reaction score
The Ecoboost v6 has more power at the expense of more moving parts, as others mentioned. Another benefit to the v6 is the tune-ability, if you're into that. I personally chose the v8 since I've had several turbocharged vehicles previously and I didn't want to deal with the potential issues and maintenance this time around. I wouldn't try to sway anyone in either direction, it's simply a tradeoff choice.

That being said, I recently towed a car on a heavy trailer for the first time (probably a little over 6k lbs total) several hundred miles and it performed the task effortlessly, I was very pleased. I have the 3.31 gears, and I'd think the 3.73 ratio would do even better.

Amen. If towing isn't a concern, go with the 5.4L. Mine has 257,000 on it (2007) and it has only cost me a tad over $2,000 over 10 years. I still get 18-19 MPG.

proftomda

Reaction score
Before you pay up in this economy for a high maintenance eco-boost you definitely need to look at repairing your 5.4. The 5.4 engine needs new timing components, oil pump and cam roller followers and then it’s pretty much bulletproof. $1500 parts or 4000 including labor and your engine is on easy street. I bulletproofed my sons 2008 in 2012 and it purrs like a kitten in 2021.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used to own a 2006 Expy and now a 2016. Dump that 3 valve 2006 junk as fast as you can while it still runs and don't look back. The '16 with the Ecoboost is night and day. Keep the oil fresh every 3000 miles regardless of the oil life percent gauge with 5-30 semi synth (turbos like clean oil) and Motorcraft filter, warm it up before driving and let her cool the turbos and spool down before shutting it off, install a catch can. Do all that and you will have an awesome truck.

cattlecar

Reaction score
3.5 EBs are great if you change the oil at 5k or less often mostly short trips and your life revolves around remote start feature.. There are people that get full life and no engine repairs with the manufacturer interval but in my shop I see all brands with issues when the oil is changed when only when a message or light says to. Dust gets by air filters. Not big stuff but it is not all caught by the filter. The fine dust is harmless to lows specific pressure parts and those flooded with oil. The cam phasers, chain guides, and chain link pins are where it does harm. I see lots of 3 valve 5.4s with over 200k miles and no noises. Those engines look like bare aluminum down in oil filler cap with a camera. The engines intake apart for chain and phaser rattles and worse have deposits and dark brown build-up everywhere. Most of those owners say they change it regularly but their receipts and contacts with the lube places they use tell a different story. I'm in Texas and do not recommend 0w20 on any turbo engines. I see good results and no hot restart rattles with 5w30 here.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
3.5 EBs are great if you change the oil at 5k or less often mostly short trips and your life revolves around remote start feature.. There are people that get full life and no engine repairs with the manufacturer interval but in my shop I see all brands with issues when the oil is changed when only when a message or light says to. Dust gets by air filters. Not big stuff but it is not all caught by the filter. The fine dust is harmless to lows specific pressure parts and those flooded with oil. The cam phasers, chain guides, and chain link pins are where it does harm. I see lots of 3 valve 5.4s with over 200k miles and no noises. Those engines look like bare aluminum down in oil filler cap with a camera. The engines intake apart for chain and phaser rattles and worse have deposits and dark brown build-up everywhere. Most of those owners say they change it regularly but their receipts and contacts with the lube places they use tell a different story. I'm in Texas and do not recommend 0w20 on any turbo engines. I see good results and no hot restart rattles with 5w30 here.
You sir hit the nail on the head. The key is clean oil and shorter change intervals. I pulled the heads on two engines and at 180,000 the factory cylinder hone was still visible. Zero sluge and deposits in the engine or valve train. Oil and filters are cheep.