This is why we can't have nice things.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dorzak

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not having gap insurance sucks. I remember my buddy bought a new 2500 chevy HD a few years back and his wife totaled it. The truck just had it’s first oil change the week previous yet the insurance payed him about half the trucks value and he was liable to pay the entire test of the loan on the vehicle immediately as the creditor said the contract becomes nullifies upon being totaled.

Just be careful because if ford is similar you they may want the entire Loan payed up now.... Some creditors write in the contract if you total the vehicle you are responsible to pay your debt in full immediately.

If you pay attention you can get GAP refunded if you don’t use it. Keep your contract, you have to either show it was totaled and GAP paid nothing because insurance paid it off, or request a refund before the original loan term ends. I have had two vehicles totaled in the last 20 years. One I didn’t have GAP on and needed it. One I did, but didn’t need it. First one left me almost owing the bank 5k. They made a mistake and repossessed the wreck while insurance was fighting over it. In my state once they repossess they can’t try to collect additional. Second one I am jumping through paperwork hoops to get my refund.

MidwestBoater

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got a few estimates today, ranges from 13k to 15k. I'm sure it will go up as they tear into the truck.

But the ****** part is that no one can start working on it until almost the middle of next month and it's almost a month's worth of work.

Man, I am really sorry to hear that. A month to get it repaired may seem like a long time, but compared to a boat claim, it's quick. I damaged the center 'toon on my tritoon back in August, hit a tree stump.. I took the boat to a local dealer, they gave me a quote, I got the insurance check in 3 weeks, and the boat is STILL at that dealer.. It took 9 weeks just to get the replacement pontoon log from the manufacturer.

MidwestBoater

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Carfax is not 100%. If it only catches 75%, what good is it? New Vehicles are damaged on lot or in transport all the time. That damage never gets reported. I had a friend that ran a check on a Lincoln, with a salvage title. The cars body, showed no sign of any paint or damage. It was water damage and showed on the report. The car was 1999 and damage was recorded in 1999. It was fixed and on the road for 10 years. So, my point is cars can be fixed correctly and lead a normal life. The make a paint thickness gauge, that can show uneven paint anomalies.

Yeah, I pretty much just use Carfax to thin out vehicles online when i'm shopping.. If it's not at least a clean carfax i'm not going to waste my time going to look at it in person.

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Settle down. This is a reality we live in. When buying used you HAVE TO either know what you're looking at or pay someone to check it over for you. I almost bought a 2014 F150 with low miles that was in perfect condition, clean 1 owner carfax, then I popped the hood and saw overspray.
Carfax also reports stuff that didn't happen! I took my Tacoma back to the dealer I bought it from to see how much they'd buy it off me for, and they pulled the Carfax and found it had been involved in an accident with $1,000+ damage.

Yes, it had, but not really. I was in the Delicate Arch parking lot in Moab waiting for a spot to clear with the clutch down and my foot wasn't on the brake hard enough, so I was slowly rolling backwards. There was a lady in a Subaru who was sitting behind me waiting for a tumbleweed to pass, and I rolled backwards right into her driver door and dented it pretty good. I'm sure they replaced the entire door, and I'm sure it cost over $1,000, but it did exactly 0 to my Tacoma's chrome bumper.

I explained it, they didn't care. I got a fair offer. Tacomas sell like hot cakes in Utah, I'm sure they made at least $2k on it when they flipped it.

schulzie

Reaction score
That stinks!
I hit a Ford Fiesta with my 2012 EL. He was oncoming, turned left immediately in front of me. Stopped as fast as I could, but there wasn't enough room. I needed a new grill, bumper, crash bar, headlight, foglight, that's about it. Fiesta was totaled - both right side airbags, both doors, trunk, shoved the right rear wheel in a good 4 inches. I was fine, he was pretty disoriented. And, that's why we drive tanks - to protect our families!

SRQ-Ford

Reaction score
Couple years back, my parents had a brand new expy - owned it less than 2 weeks. Sitting at a red light at 11:00 pm, some 22 yo guy in a saturn wagon slams them in the rear so hard it blew out all three windows around the back and bent back both of their seatbacks. Thankfully the cross traffic was light as it shoved them into the intersection. The guy was reading a comic book while speeding - kid you not. Blessed nobody was hurt more than stiff necks for a few days.

Point being, the truck was a mess, they tried to repair it for many months and never could get it straight. Replaced the frame, seats, etc. It was never right - window leaks, electrical issues, alignment, etc. Eventually, the insurance company wore down and bought the truck from my parents and they got a brand new one.

When you get the truck back, keep taking it back to the body shop to fix everything. I don't recall how many months and trips to the body shop - parents are retired so they made this their project. It is a huge PIA but it is the only way to document and force them to properly fix it.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And finally... 44 days days later. It's back in the garage. Looks great and paint work is impressive. First things I did were remove the second row center seat, install the LED puddle lights and install the JLT catch can. bf9afe1ff8042c292a697c6dc372d572.jpg

I'm happy you got it all fixed. I just had my wheel well fixed and replaced because it was bubbling and the paint work was unbelievable, can't even tell it was done.... and it's a metallic flake paint. Truck looks great, now you can enjoy it for a long time!

mossback

2017 Limited EL
Reaction score
Glad you're back to normal and it all looks great. It is impressive for sure what these body shops can do now a days.

Reaction score
The struggle is real, my wife backed into our house cleaner about two months ago. I backed into our babysitter who was parked in the exact same spot about 4 years ago nearly to the day. So now she and I are even! I told her she should have hit it harder so we could have upgraded to a 2015-2017..

IMG_5068.JPG