Tips for Preparing to Offroad!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2001Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am preparing to go to silver lake sand dunes. I not going to do anything crazy just pretty much drive to the beach area and use the expedition as a home base for the day.

Is there any tips for maintenance and anything else in general that I would need to know.

Right now, I have a 2001 expedition 4x4 5.4 with BFG Rough Terrains with about half tread.

Just looking for anything really.

Thanks
Calvin

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i grew up in michigan so went to silver lake alot. you will need a flag if you plan on driving the dunes at all with the expy. and i am not sure, but i think you have to buy a day pass, cant remember. as for maintenance stuff, there really isnt too much you need to worry about, its sand not mud. things you might want to bring: shovel, water, snacks, spare tire. you will want to air your tires down if you play in the sand. more importantly, have fun while you are there!

tallsville

Full Access Members
Reaction score
sounds about right. but if you are airing down make sure have a way to put air back in. a small compressor would help. but in sand airing down is best.

OP
OP

2001Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the ORV flag and need to buy the sticker for the year. I have a air compressor/jumper box for airing back up.

I was just wondering about maintenance because my dad was talking about sand getting in the engine and breaks and everything and messing something up.

We are planing on renting a dune buggy and have a couple of quads that are going with, so the expy won't be seeing a lot of action. Just a cooler full of cold ones.

Thanks
Calvin

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
sand will get into the engine bay. wont really screw anything up just dirty it up. my brakes got sand in them. were squeeling for a while after i went to the desert. no damage. eventually went away. but yes AIR DOWN! you will love that thing in the dunes. does really well and most likely wont get stuck. unless you like the skinny pedal and 2wd. but flag yes. put it on the cross bar!!! it makes you stick up like 4 or 5 ft higher.

tallsville

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you can always buy a paper filter just for the trip if you have a k&n already. and if worried do an oil change when you get back.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i need to buy a paper when i go off road. i know my k&n is DIRTY! i need to clean it! i keep forgetting to do that.

OP
OP

2001Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Panda, I assuming that you mounted it on the roof rack cross bar. I might have to play with that idea, I already made a bracket for the the tow hook.

Talls I already have a paper filter.

With the votes of confidence, I might have to try a little more than just being the people hauler. Just nothing like the guy in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8W85WjayKQ

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
http://www.fordexpeditionforum.com/showthread.php?t=817

theres the pics of where i have the flag. its a "hook" :shrug: mount? look at the attachment. a screw goes and holds it down really good. its legal. and im thinking about adding some little orange flags to the tips of my cbs. i think thats legal too. haha

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 53
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 57