Tow package, trailer brakes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

anishemaya

Reaction score
Hopefully someone can help me. Here is what I know about my truck from the dealer & experience. First it’s 2012 4wd xl. It has the rearend that gives it the 9k towing. There is a tow haul button on the gear shift that displays tow haul on the dash. It does not have the 7pin plug or a brake controller. I also understand the truck was first used as a rental car. Here are my questions. 1. Since it has the tow haul button does that mean it has the tow package or does that button just control the transmission? 2. How do I know if it has that special towing radiator? 3. If I just buy a trailer brake like I have for every other truck and install it myself do I need to have the dealership (or someone) “program” the truck? 4. Is there any performance difference between an OEM trailer brake v/s aftermarket? 5. Is there a particular aftermarket brake controller that works better with my Expy? 6. Will the 7 pin plug just plug in under the rear bumper? Thanks in advance for the sage wisdom & knowledge!