Tranny pan drop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tocapet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone know about how much tranny fluid I should expect to need doing a pan drop and filter replacement?
  1. I did mine because the electrical sleeve was leaking. Got the replacement part and had to drop the pan to release the sleeve with the O-rings. (It releases from the inside). Anyway, I replaced the filter while I was in there. The fluid was nice & clean. Others on here say you should flush it all out, but if there's no residue in the bottom of the pan and the oil is nice and red, you should be OK. If you see any small shiny metal filings, then it's overhaul time. My '09 Expy EL had 105K miles when I did that. It has 117K now and still going strong. It's a pain getting the new fluid in. You can get a funnel with a LONG hose on it and pour it in from topside or you can buy one of the cheap plunger pumps they sell at Autozone that fits onto the top of your LV bottles. And Ford recommends Mercon LV. Get it from the parts dept. at your local Ford dealer. Doesn't cost much. Mine took about 5 quarts. Another pain is checking the fluid level. Buy a 19MM box-end wrench and some heavy gloves because the little bitty dipstick under the nut is right next to your catalytic converter and it's HOT down there. The fluid level is checked with the engine/trans at normal operating temperature with it running in park sitting on level ground. Some have said that you can check it cold if you fill it just to the bottom of the crosshatch mark on the dipstick. I opted for the gloves.

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I replaced with amsoil on both the 2012 Sxpy and the wife's 08 Exploder (4.6 with 6r60) and have had no complaints. There are several OEM Ford filters, some have a longer "snout" on the bottom but both work. I added a drain plug to mine (drilled small hole and threded it with a 1/8 npt tap and installed a brass npt plug)

I replaced the filter and fluid, drove for a day or 2, then drained fluid and replaced again. Sounds redundant, but helped ensure I got GOOD fluid into the entire trans. Did this on both trucks.

When I did the wife's, it had 144k on original fluid. Made a BIG difference in drivability. Just broke 180k with it and have had no problems.

Just my $0.02

OP
OP
DesertFordRat

DesertFordRat

Reaction score
Good advice. I bought a suction gun and ended up getting 8 quarts of mercon lv. I'm hoping I can fit the tube in the fill port deep enough to suck out most of the fluid prior to the pan drop. Damn dirty mess is what it looks like. I will attempt this job tomorrow. Also will be doing the rear diff fluid if I can get the drain and fill ports open lol. Ill update this post after she's done.

OP
OP
DesertFordRat

DesertFordRat

Reaction score
Ok update.. Ill never do that shit again lol. What a mess. I had tranny fluid all over myself and rocks embedded in my scalp. The hardest part was refilling the trans. I had a good suction gun but its too awkward with just jack stands. My dipstick had an A and B zone markings, so that was also confusing. I ended up putting in a little over 7 quarts. I couldn't torque the rear bolts and I believe there is a leak back there. Any suggestions for getting those torqued? The damn exhaust is in the way. I did notice a performance boost. Shifts nice and seems to pull better in the different gears. Could just be me looking too much into it though. If anyone is going to attempt this have a helping hand there with you. I did it alone and it took forever.

OP
OP
DesertFordRat

DesertFordRat

Reaction score
Also to add.. No big shavings, the fluid was tinted brown and I have 85k miles. There was no plug on the bottom of the pan so it appears someone has changed the fluid before. The magnet had a good amount of fine particles, but that's expected I would assume. I only burned myself slightly on the exhaust :)

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used a 1/4" ratchet for those hard to reach bolts. The 1/4" impact driver with very little trigger pressure worked for the rest of the bolts.

I laid a big piece of cardboard under the truck when I did it. Hahaha much easier to clean than the driveway.

If there is "a good amount" on the magnet then I strongly doubt the fluid has been changed in the past. Regardless, hope you cleaned everything properly before reassembley. If you really want to feel a difference, change the fluid again in a couple days.......

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You haven't "changed" trans fluid until you are taking off a valve body and just as the last bolt is removed the wet and dripping vb slides out of your hand, slaps down in the pan of old fluid, all you see a wall of fluid coming towards your face. You are on your back, can't move out of the way and just take it - mouth closed, eyes shut. I've just been Baptised!!!

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think in my many years of wrenching, have sampled the taste of every fluid used in a motor vehicle. Coolant, oil, trans fluid, 90 weight gear oil, battery acid, and once thank god I had glasses on R134 freon. Oh yeah,almost forgot brake dust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The worse one for me was having hot oil drain down my hand, arm and finally into my armpit then down my side - while trying to direct the used oil flow with the drain plug - 22 quarts of hot 15w40 oil comes out in a hurry. C7 Cat got to love em...

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's why I always have a backup pan at the ready. And with transmission drain and fill, those oversized hardware store cement mixing pans are a god send. I'm so glad my Expedition came from Ford with a drain plug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk