Transmission searching for the correct gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tampa Expedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
just moved from Tampa to Birmingham. In Birmingham there are more hills that I am driving and the truck can’t find the right gear at slower speeds. Does any one know if there is a software update, as my expedition was one on the first with 10 speed transmission?

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Perhaps disconnecting the battery long enough to erase your previous "shift memory" might help. Then the computer will "learn" your new driving parameters. If that won't work, I got nothing.

AAOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Use forscan to reset the transmission adaptions.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm assuming its a non tow package vehicle with highway gears In it that are pretty hard for it to push at slower speeds.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
just moved from Tampa to Birmingham. In Birmingham there are more hills that I am driving and the truck can’t find the right gear at slower speeds. Does any one know if there is a software update, as my expedition was one on the first with 10 speed transmission?

Did you contact a Ford dealer with your VIN to determine if there are any transmission updates available?

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Like mentioned, I would check with a ford dealer. I thought I read somewhere that there was an update that seemed to change the transmission shifting. I have the lower axle ratio but I do not seem to have any transmission hunting issues. If it is doing it I don't know it because it shifts so smooth.