Transmission Slipping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket1265

Reaction score
2005 Expedition 5.4 auto transmission 2 wheel drive

I dropped the transmission pan, cleaned it, changed the filter and discarded the oil in the pan. I added approx. 6 quarts of new. Drove it about 5 minutes and now it seems that the clutch is slipping in drive. It drives fine in reverse but in drive, the engine races when I press the gas, but it barely moves forward.

Could this have occurred do to me over filling the transmission? Is there a simple cure, like draining some fluid? Or do I need to take this in to have the clutch inspected?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
About the only thing that the techs can do today is get internal line pressures, check solenoid operations, test the electronics and cycle the torque converter lockup clutches.
Actual inspection requires disassembly. Might as well rebuild it if your going in that far.

What atf did you use?

rca510

Full Access Members
Reaction score
check the torque converter. mine burned up after a electronic connecter shorted out from oil contamination. slipped really bad when it warmed up